1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI Rage 128 driver question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AndreaD, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndreaD

AndreaD Thread Starter

I have a old PC running Windows XP Pro SP 3. It has Intell 1.8GHz and 768 MB RAM.I have a Rage
    128 Pro Ultra 4XL UR-R AGP video card. I used two different moniters both moniters appear dark
    regardless of how I adjust the controls on either moniter.It seems that the problem is either the
    video card itself or the driver.
    Where can I get a current driver for this video card?
    I'm very inexperienced. Can anyone offer advice?
    Thanks,Andrea

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

3. AndreaD

AndreaD Thread Starter

I downloaded a driver from there but when I tried to do the set up I got the following message:
    The display driver is not compatible with the display adapters installed in your system.

I have a RAGE 128 PRO II adapter.What now? Thanks, Andrea

4. JennyJackson01

Unless you`ve already done it, try the second driver for the Pro version (5.10.2600.6010). I know legacy drivers can be a real issue sometimes and I`ve got boxes full of old drivers that I`m sure I don`t need but I like to keep them `just in case`.

Jenny

5. AndreaD

AndreaD Thread Starter

I tried all 3 and deleated each one before downloading the next and got the same message about the display driver not being compatible with the display adapters.
    Andrea

6. AndreaD

AndreaD Thread Starter

Do I need to uninstall my original Rage driver? But then if the new one doesn't work will my computer work? What kind of display would I have left?
    How do I fix the display driver and display adapter compatibility problem?
    Andrea

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Andrea:

You might consider upgrading to an ATI Radeon 7000 or ATI Radeon 7500 AGP video card. They've worked well for me in old desktops, and Windows XP has native support for them. Select a model that has 64 MB - 128 MB of video memory. Your computer's power supply should be able to handle it okay.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. JennyJackson01

Upgrading would certainly be a good idea but in answer to your other question, yes, uninstall the previous driver before installing another one. You`ll be faced with basic drivers giving you large graphics after uninstallation and before you install the other one.

It might also be a wise move to re-install the motherboard northbridge chipset driver to make sure the system is `reading` the AGP slot correctly.

Jenny

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice