Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI Video cards

952 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  zeddy 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am getting a new computer and trying to figure out what video card I want. Can you tell me what would be the best card to buy from the last 3 new series cards from ATI 9600 series, 9700 series 9800 series. Or are there other better cards out there. I am into gaming mostly. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

#3 ·
What exactly are you planning on doing with the video card? Is it for games, to capture and create video, or just run-of-the-mill computing (checking email, surfing the net, doing homework)?

#5 ·
Personally i would go for a G Force FX 5900 Ultra, it's a better card than the Radeon's.
Unless you can get hold of the X2-256 or the T2-128. "The former is based on the Radeon 9800 Pro core - branded the FGL9800 in this case - 256MB of DDR video memory and twin DVI-I interfaces. With eight parallel rendering pipelines and four parallel geometry engines, along with ATI's latest programmable vertex and pixel shader technologies."
With better features and Frame rates....
Still i would go for the G Force card though as when this card hits the shelves, it will be at a premium...

#6 ·
It all depends what money you want to spend really, paying the premium for the fastest (only fastest for the next 3 months max) or getting a card that will perform at a framerate faster than the visible eye (300+ on UT 2003 or Q3A - sounds good but the eye is fooled by frames above 25-30 p/s).

Get a good mid range and save your £ $ for the next upgrade in 12 - 18 months time.

#10 ·
oldguy54 said:

I will be using the computer mostly for gaming. I have heard that the Gforce FX cards are very noisy compared to others. Are there any cooling problem with any of them.
As spoon_T_Rex says the fx5800 was the sonic boom version, the fx5600 and the 5900 are quieter - although I believe the 5900 takes up the AGP and next PCI slot space.

The rad9600 compares favourably against the fx5600. The fx5800 and 5900 are tres expensive. I am with burningrave1 , don't discount the GF4 ti4600, it is a super card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.