1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI X800 GTO & SATA HD problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sawtoothgrin, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sawtoothgrin

sawtoothgrin Thread Starter

This is my first post, so thanks for taking the time to look at it. I'm relatively new to the whole building computers thing so please, bear with me. I have a basic knowledge and find most of my information via forums such as these.

I just recently did some upgrading and purchased an ATI X899 GTO video card (because it was in my price range and had the vertex shader model I was looking for) as well as a relatively cheap 320 gig Seagate SATA HD. I installed everything and booted my pc with no visible problems.

I'm running an older IDE HD as my master drive (as it contains windows and all my other programs/files that I can't really afford to lose). The BIOS detected the SATA drive and displayed all of the info, but upon entering Windows, it isn't visible via any means that I know of. Is there something I need to be doing with jumpers and such?

I noticed when I entered the BIOS that the left side of the screen was shaking a bit, as if I had done a Degauss on the monitor and it hadn't quite returned to it's normal state. It's just the left side of the screen that is shaking. When I booted windows from there, it was fine... until a few hours later when the same thing started happening in Windows after a few reboots (due to software installation and such). Is it possible that this is a problem with my monitor (it's an older hp pavilion mx75 that I had around the house)?

Any help would be great as I'm kind of stuck. Thanks for your time. :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As for the drive, have you partitioned and formatted it yet? Go to disk management Start>run and type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. Your sata drive should be displayed; right click and choose to create partition. After that is done, right click and choose to format. Note if you want more than one partition, do some thinking about it first and create them how you want. You can do a quick format since formatting a 320gig drive will take a while.

As for the monitor, have you installed the video driver for your card?

3. sawtoothgrin

I've installed the drivers for the card that were supplied. I'll see if there are further updated drivers shortly. I have to step out for a few.

As for the drive, I tried the Disk Management and it doesn't display the SATA drive, just the IDE (and it's partition).

I'll add some detail to my post when I get back. Thanks for the speedy reply.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have your system drive as ide and you are now using a sata drive, are you sure the sata controller is enabled in the bios? Next have you installed the drivers for your sata controller and does it show correctly in device manager?

5. sawtoothgrin

6. sawtoothgrin

Anyone have any insight as to what I should do here? Any help would be appreciated.

Should I just partition the drive?

Do I need to worry about the initial format that I hear people mention?

7. norton850

norton850

Yes you need to partition the drive. You have to decide whether to make it all one big partition or divide the drive into two or more smaller partitions. No right and wrong on this. The next step is to format the partitions.

8. sawtoothgrin

Ah ok, so it's partition and then format. Thanks much :)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you get your drive working?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice