1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI X800 pro not playing nice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuzznkev, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuzznkev

cuzznkev Thread Starter

Specs:
    p4 2.6
    Asus p4p800 deluxe
    1.5 gig DDR
    4 HDs
    2 DVDs

I picked up a new ATI x800 pro about 4 days ago. Uninstalled old drivers and card, dropped in the new card and things went 90% smoothly. The only issue I noted that was odd, I could not see the POST screen at all. When the Raid drives were coming up, video came back. I thought it was a little weird, but I could live with this. If I tried to enter bios during this time, after the Raid initializes, it just sits there with the Raid text on screen flashing blue.

Monday rolls around. The machine powers down. I start the reboot, it powers down after about 2 sec. Try again, same thing. I had 400 watt PS in, so I am thinkin that its a power thing. I unplug a DVD drive, it lasts about 10 sec before powering down. I take the second DVD offline, and it boots. The boot takes forever. I exit windows and power down and put the old video card in and reboot. I notice the autodetect feature on the HDs is taking forever. It gets past POST, gets to the Raid, then says insert system disk. I am like WTF. :eek: I reboot, enter bios, everything seems ok, so I reboot, this time it finds the drive and life is good.

I Tuesday nite, I install a new power supply thinking that might be adding to the problem. To no avail.

In short, the issues are (in my order of importance):
    Why the long auto detect time necessary to find the hard drives;
    Why does it find them some times, but not others;
    Why won't the machine show the post screen w/the new vid card?
    Why won't the machine enter bios w/the new vid card?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Weird. Did you buy a good power supply?

3. cuzznkev

cuzznkev Thread Starter

I didn't splurge on an Antec (yet). But I am not sure that the power supply is necessarily the main issue that bothers me at the moment. The bios issues have me really stumped. I had hoped the new PS would have gotten rid of the black screen issue, but it didn't . The next thing I am thinking about doing is flashing the BIOS. I hate messing w/that tho.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah I hear you. If the bios is out of date it could do it I suppose. I'd check the read me on each bios and if it didn't add support for new graphics cards I would not do it.

The great thing about asus boards is that you can flash the bios in windows with asus update. I always download the bios file and point to it when I use asus update.

I wouldn't do the internet update on a bet.;)

5. cuzznkev

cuzznkev Thread Starter

Okay, flashed the bios and life is good again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice