1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ati2mtag error message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottb1, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottb1

scottb1 Thread Starter

Hi all,

hope you can answer my question and help me out hear.

A couple of weeks ago my friend who is computer illiterate tells me he's having problems with his computer freezing, I go and run the usual scans for viruses as by what he tells me this is my thinking. I use avg free spybot search and destroy adaware se and i installed spyware blaster. the scans found numerous viruses and spyware and malware to many to note down and check the effect of them.

that was a little background to the problem, his system he tells me seems to be working fine then again it starts freezing now and it will only start in safemode. i take it away and hook it up myself to my spair monitor.

he has both onboard graphics and an ati GV-R9200NF graphics card, when i hooked up the monitor to the ati nothing happens just a grey screen, but use the onboard and it boots fine, but displays an error message, just rebooted machine to get error message and now the ati card is working and the onboard isn't ???????? would ity be better to disable the onboard. updated drivers and it appears to be working ok. Any ideas what could be causing this will post a higlack this log on forum incase i've missied spyware ??

cheers:confused:

2. kronus

kronus

I'd check that your friend is running a good firewall, for starters. It would most certainly be a good idea to disable the onboard graphics and run off the ati. What I would do is remove the ati, get rid of all it's drivers and try to clean up the machine using the onboard graphics temporarily. You might find that part of his issues are actually the graphics card.

3. scottb1

scottb1 Thread Starter

Hi Kronus,

thanks for the advise, it would also appear there are some spyware issues as someone else is addressing this on another form. i've also read that changing the agp8 to agp4 in the bios could help with the error. Also in his bios the graphics memory is set to 256mb but the card is only 128mb could adjusting this help with the freezing issue ?

As from what i've read the freezing is caused by the graphics going to quick for the memory and processor.

thanks again (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice