1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

atikmpag.sys BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickflame, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

Hello, I am new here but I have come with a problem that has been bugging me for the last week or so. I bought a brand new PC about a month ago. I normally build my own computers myself however this computer was on sale and was great for its price. Its a Acer Predator G5910 (with AMD vid card). The specs from TSG are:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16365 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 132043 MB, Free - 57748 MB; D: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 387036 MB; Z: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 917650 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Predator G5910
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Now my problem is that when I boot up the computer and log into windows, there seems to be a random chance that my displays will just start flicking and then after 30 seconds I get a BSOD with the error of atikmpag.sys . If the computer doesn't blue screen everything works 100% fine, I can play Battlefield 3 on high graphics like all day and not a single problem will occur.
    I have attached all the minidumps from when it began up until today's latest one and was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem?

I have tried uninstalling my display drivers and the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalling it but that didn't seem to work. If anyone can provide some help that would be wonderful.

Thank you For your time.

Attached Files:

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Yea all those Minidumps say Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys...which as you know is the video card.

It maybe possible the video card could be faulty ....you could try and re setting it but that would void your warranty...so I would contact the manufacturers or place you bought the PC and get the PC fixed under warranty.

3. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, is there anyway to test for a faulty card or anything i can test before sending it back? cause I'll have to send it back to Acer no doubt and being so close to Christmas its probably going to take months to get back to me. I know atikmpag.sys has something to do with the video card but could it just be video drivers failed to install or is it more then likely that is the card itself?

4. Megabite

Megabite

The best way to test if it is the video card is to install another one and see if same problem occurs. and that would void the warranty too. I agree with you so close to Xmas as it does work OK sometimes then you could leave it until after.

Yes it could be the Video card drivers...you say you re-installed them...how did you do that and where did you get the drivers?

5. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

I went to the programs and features in control panel, found the Catalyst Install Manager then clicked change, clicked on the "express uninstall all AMD software" which states that it removes all the AMD related components. Then just downloaded the latest Catalyst Control Center full package from the AMD website.

Do I have to use any other kind of uninstaller? like Driver Sweeper or something or does the normal one AMD provides get rid of everything?

6. Megabite

Megabite

OK... try uninstall and is there a choice to just install the driver only and not the Control Centre.

Also take a look in bios and see if the integrated graphics card (if it has one ) is not enabled.

7. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

Ok the the big package installs the following:
    Display Driver
    OpenCL Driver
    AMD Integrated Driver
    Catalyst Control Center

I'm not 100% sure which ones are fully important besides the obvious Display Driver, Which do you suggest I get?

8. Megabite

Megabite

Display Driver OpenCL Driver
    AMD Integrated Driver

The PC worked ok at first when you got it?

Did you install anything just before you started getting the problem you can remember?

It seems it is having problems loading the Video card drivers sometimes.

Are you the only user on that PC?

9. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

Yes I am the only user, its ment to be by new gaming rig lol. I cant remember if it had problems on the day I got it cause I dove right into installing some games and such. All I remember is I had my 2 big games installed on it (Skyrim and Battlefield 3) then went to bed. following morning I woke up and it had it's first BSOD. I then updated the graphics drivers using the full package (didnt uninstall the current ones just over rode them) but it still had the random problems every now and then.

As for the individual downloads, ATI provides the Display driver and the OpenCL Driver as individuals. The "Integrated Driver" isn't offered.I have just uninstalled my current drivers now, running on i guess some random Microsoft ones or somethin. Going to reboot my PC now and check that Bios setting aswell.

10. Megabite

Megabite

OK......well the PC runs the games OK when the drivers load OK...but I can understand it is a bit annoying.

You could also check the Startup list and see what is starting up out of interest.

Start>>Run>>type msconfig then Startup tab

11. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

I checked my Bios and there was nothing in there about integrated graphics. My computer booted up fine this time. I'm finding it a little odd right now with my computer. Not entirely sure what graphics drivers its using right now but I loaded skyrim for a quite tester and it detected a change in video settings but defaulted me to Ultra High... Where as when I had those other "latest" drivers it said only High settings. I'm going to reboot my computer a few more times just to see if it BSODs at all.

Would you recommend I install those single 2 drivers though?

As for Startup, nothing out of the ordinary is starting up.

12. Megabite

Megabite

Test the PC for awhile like it is....see if it has any problems loading those drivers......

13. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

Ok so my PC has booted 4 times and each time full success (thank goodness for SSD's boot time is fast now). However since i get this problem more often off a "cold boot" i might wait until I go to sleep tonight then test it again in the morning. So in roughly like 10 hours or so I'll post again with some more results.
    Thanks so far for all the help Megabite, I hope my results tomorrow morning are pleasing :) .

If this does work; I find it quite odd that I ran the AMD uninstaller, uninstalled all AMD components and then my problems stop? anyways, i'll go play some games for a while see how it performs and then tomorrow when i wake up. i'll turn on my pc and see how I go.

Thanks again for your time.

14. Megabite

Megabite

Ok....you could wait if it works for a new amd driver that might solve the problem.

15. nickflame

nickflame Thread Starter

Ok, so it BSOD'd this morning. I think I am starting to notice a pattern (I think?) It only seems to bluescreen on a cold boot? I dunno maybe my card doesn't like being cold?
    So from here, should I try to install just the display driver or just leave it? Cause after a bluescreen happens and its rebooted it seems to have a 100% chance of working... This problem is really annoying to try and figure out lol.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice