Atomating PC Maintenance Possible ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

number2

I am pretty new to XP and have limited experiance with 9X. I've worked with computers back when I was in highschool and used graphics programs on macs during my brief stint at collage. With in the last 8 months I purchased this computer brand new (a milestone for me technologically speaking). This is the first computer that I have owned that is actually capable of running current programs and stuff and I would really like to keep it running in top form.

I am trying to set up various system maintanance apps to run automatically through out the week while I'm not using my PC. I'd like to schedual a disk defrag & cleaner, a registry cleaner & defrag tool, and a virus scan along with spybot.

I tried using Schedualed Tasks but when the different programs are brought up at their schedualed times I need to be there to start and run them. The only stuff that I have working is the Norton Antivirus and ms AntiSpyware, but these were set up and schedualed with in there application settings and not with the Schedualed Task tool. I can't find a way to start the defrags and cleaners automatically.

Shouldn't there be some way to go about setting up these utilities to run by using a console or something. I would think that it would be possible to set up something like a defrag to run automaticallly.

I welcome any suggestions on how to do this. I was thinking that this was a brilliant plan
and would really like to see it work. But seriously, is this something that is feasable or just silly.

a program i use is called TuneUp utillities 2006 i got it at download.com you can schedule disk cleaning, registry cleaning,about anything you need to keep your computer at top speed although it is not free software

Windows XP runs fine without any maitenence at all, save for the occassional defrag, which is hardly neccessary more than two or three times a year if you're using NTFS. I wouldn't do anything to your registry unless there is a specific problem you're trying to address.

I've never done scheduled tasks, so I can't offer much help there. But I personally wouldn't worry about it at all.

TIP #1

DON'T download / install any " maintenace/repair/fix applications " on your computer
In most cases that I have seen, they are junk and will cause you more grief than good

** just my opinion **
DO NOT install any McAfee or Norton software on to your computer if you wish to keep your computer running in tip-top shape

Get yourself a decent virus scanning program that will not kill your resources.
I use NOD32 but there are other ones as well that won't drain your system.

Windows XP comes with it own built in firewall. Up to you if you wish to just use that or get yourself another one. Perhaps someone here can provide you with a good firewall solution that won't be hard to setup and won't kill your system performance.
I have a router and use only Windows XP firewall but, that's me.....

Get yourself a good spyware cleaning program such as Spybot (search & destroy) or lavasoft's Adaware

a good running firewall and antivirus program should protect you well.
adaware/spybot can be run when YOU want to run it and will clean up your computer / egistry of useless/junk/spyware objects that come along with normal, everyday websurfing.

Run the spyware cleaners once every week or 2 weeks
DiskDefrag every month or so........ if it needs it

do that, and you should be just fine......

What you really need to be picky on, is what you actually install on your computer
P2P programs etc....

good luck
Swiper

number2

The thing is that with this new computer I have also hooked up my first internet connection and am downloading, installing, and removing more applications than rainman would be able to count. This is messing up my registry and drive as far as organization goes. I don't want to stop downloading all this free stuff just yet but want to do some automatic dammage controll to deal with the results.

I know this approach to the internet may be fool hardy but I can't control my self with all this access to all these potentially benifitial resources.

downloading / installing and un-installing applications is not really a big deal and windows xp does a pretty good job of removing registry entries for those programs as well.
again, just be careful what you install
spyware comes in many forms, especially with internet downloads freeware P2P downloads etc....

number2

I did purchase Advanced System Optimizer and use its many utilities for maintanance, but I would realy like to figure out how to do these tasks with windows tools or by using windows utilities. I want to develope a working knowledge of the different capabilities of the OS.

Is it more common to use outside utilities to do what I'm trying to do ?

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Go to "System Tools" in the Start menu>Acessories. Also, you might gain info thru "Help and Support."

number2

redoak, I do have access to all these system tools and can run them at will but I'm trying to figure out a way to make them run themselves, and to do this without needing to buy any outside applications. It's sorta a goal of mine.

I wonder if there is a way to set this stuff up to run automatically with the use of some DOS based commands or by writing some type of script or something ?

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Sorry, I am unacquainted with "DOS." My references were in reponse to your request for info on what Ws provided.
{redoak}

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
I just now put the word "scheduling" into the Help and Support search box with results that may help you. Give it a try.
{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online