1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Atomic age...

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by THoey, Jan 22, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. THoey

THoey Thread Starter

2. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

No doubt

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Old nuclear arms treaties banned the use of nuclear devices of any kind in space. This helped cripple several NASA space exploration projects.

I still completely oppose the use of nukes in space. I beleive som countries would love to orbit nuclear warheads. Think abou tit. Doese the American president have something other than satellites in mind?

4. Toddles18

Toddles18

Nuke's in space pointed down at the world, now thats a scary thought!!

5. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Still opposed if nuclear power is used exclusively for propultion? And not used for Earth orbit?
    After all the discussion is not about weapons, it is about propultion.

6. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    I was merely outlining some history. The nuclear treaty didn't discriminate between non-agressive nulclear propulsion for space vehicles and nuclear warheads. It was easier, negotiation-wise to just ban everything outright.

I support the use of nuclear propulsion for space research. The umbrella treaties of the past stymied that usage for 20 years. I say it's time to allow it.

7. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Cool. I'm glad you and I agree on this. We also agree that no weapons of mass destruction should be put in orbit for any reason. It's just too dangerous, and a bit stupid. I might go for a lazer up there if it could be proven that it could stop an ICBM, but with all the counter measures these days, that'd probably just be a waste of sky.
    :D

8. john1

john1

I thought those treaties were still in force.
    Dont remember them having an expiry date.

9. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    How about: Let's not go for any weapons up there? The last thing we need is another escalation of weaponry on any possible "theatre".

10. john1

john1

Okay,
    maybe they did have an expiry date,
    but they didn't mention it to me.

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

Uhhhh, you don't have to ask me twice!!! ;)

12. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Well, the LAST thing we need is nuclear ICBM's landing in NY, Chicago, and LA. But space weapons scare the hell out of me as well.

The cold war may be over, but I'd like to find out where all the long-range ICBM's went. At one time there was about 3500 missiles in the former Soviet Union. Each having about a dozen nuclear warheads attached. Nobody's claiming to have dismantled them. And last I heard, they were targeted at key Western cities.

A non-nuclear sattelite-based defense system is not that far fetched an idea. Though, to go back to a previous point that I made, I don't think that the details have been worked out yet. Current technology would require space-based missiles. I would not support the deployment of this idea, for obvious reasons.

13. ComputerFix

ComputerFix

Actually, many of them were dismantled, both before and after the "cold war".

Also, some of those remaining did still have their original "target package" programmed in, but that has also been removed.

I wish I could remember where I saw that report, but I know it is there. I too had the same concerns you did!

On the thread topic:

Nuclear power, though having one obvious downside, is going to have to become a part of space exploration if we are to progress further with it than we already have.

We have been powering naval ships with it for how long now without a problem?

14. john1

john1

Oh yes,

Navy vessells.
    Lots of naval vessels are nuclear powered.
    When they get old, and a bit 'dodgy'
    the cheapest way to get rid of them is to
    take them to somewhere out of the way
    and scuttle them.

There are so many nuclear wrecks rotting away
    that the seas are now almost registering
    on geiger counters.

Many countries have faltering economies,
    and maybe they just cannot afford to dispose
    of radioactive equipment in an envoironmentally
    friendly manner.

Certain types of seafood are to be avoided,
    as they tend to accumulate radioactive agents.

Dont forget aeroplanes,
    aeroplanes carry nuclear ballast.
    Exactly why, i'm not sure.
    I think its because space inside is at a premium
    and the balancing equipment uses weights,
    spent uranium is heavier than lead for the
    same volume.
    But im only guessing about that bit.

John

15. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    You are an American and understandly speak from that perspective. But I try to make my viewpoint a more universal one. I don't want nuclear weapons of any nations landed on any city or country. And isn't the American military the possessor of the largest stockpile of Weapons of mass destruxtion on the planet?

So true. JUst a couple of days ago I saw a news story stating that 50% of the former Soviet Union's massive stockpile of chemical and nuclear weapons are not monitored or catalogued.

They showed a Soviet nuclear submarine "graveyard" in the Baltic Sea where old vessels are merely abandonned and scuttled. They said it was the most radioactively contaminated area of the world.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice