1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attaching a second hard disk to a laptop (not using USB)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Has anyone here any experience with connecting a second hard disk to a laptop via the optical drive bay? I am interested in doing this with a Dell Latitude D520 and an HP DV6000 laptop.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

I had a Sony Vaio that could accommodate a 2nd hard drive, but through the extra battery slot.

What does your documentation say?

3. Alex Ethridge

The manufacturer never considered such a thing, nothing about it in there.

4. valis

valis Moderator

it would have to be through the MFG, as it would have to fit the chassis, and every stinkin' chassis out there that I know of is rather snottily proprietary about it.

are you talking about swapping the HD between the two machine, the dell and the HP? Pretty sure that won't happen.

5. Alex Ethridge

6. valis

valis Moderator

I highly doubt that that would fit. He's selling it 'with certain specifications' that must be met, and generally that means it will fit one model of chassis. I'd be very leery of that.

Any reason you don't want to get a usb external drive? You can get a 1 tb passport style that doesn't need an external power source for about a hundred bucks these days, and I'm will to bet about that much that it will be less of a headache in the long run that what you are looking at there.

7. Alex Ethridge

Okay, I'll explain why. USB drives are external and require extra 'stuff' to be connected and carried about. Also, compared to an internal PATA or SATA connection, USB is slow.

Second reason: With a little jury rigging, I could actually connect about any other internal-type drive, externally. Why would I want to do that? That's where it gets really complicated so I'll save that for later.

8. Alex Ethridge

9. valis

valis Moderator

the top one here is one of the one's I've got......easier for me, but again, that's just me.

I'd definitely be leery of trying to shoe-horn something into a specific chassis. That said, I've not tried this, so I can't give it a yea or a nay.

10. Alex Ethridge

Well, I ordered the thing. We'll know in a few days whether it's worth its salt.

Now that I've ordered, I'll explain one of the uses (besides just the conveniences of an extra internal drive). For years, I've found it useful and easier to remove malicious software, viruses and, especially, root-kits, if I connect the infected drive to a known-clean system for the scan/removal. USB isn't practical as scans that take 30 minutes or less when connected an internal PATA or SATA port can take four hours or more when scanned on USB. I have actually carried an extra compact desktop computer with me on service calls for this purpose in situations where the owners forbid the removal of their data from the premises. A laptop that has an extra SATA connector will be much more convenient than carrying around and setting up an additional desktop, and probably about as fast, operationally.

In case you're wondering, an SATA cable extended to the outside of the laptop will be what I'll use to connect a desktop-sized drive.

We'll know for sure soon just how well it will work.

11. Alex Ethridge

By the way, for external USB, I've used this USB enclosure for a year or so now. I like it because it fits in my shirt pocket AND it has a built-in, stowed-away USB connector.

12. valis

valis Moderator

I've actually not heard that much about ET; how do you like their stuff to date?

13. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Just an idea for a jury-rig hack, but if a USB drive will fit in the optical drive compartment then you can always run the cable around to a USB port, right?

14. Alex Ethridge

I have excellent results to report on the NewMode Optical Bay Hard Disk (OBHD) adapter.

First, I connected an SATA hard disk to my HP DV6000 laptop via the OBHD adapter and used batch commands to record the exact time each copy process started and finished. I ran this test with the same hard disk connected via USB. I have posted the results as a JPG to make it more readable. I am very satisfied with its performance. It seems a hard disk connected via the OBHD performs equally as well as the manufacturer's internal hard disk.

Click on the attachment to see my results.

Valis, to answer your question, I have purchased several of the Eagle Tech external enclosures both in the 2.5 and 3.5 HD size and I can say I am impressed with the quality of professional appearance, performance and durability. The one I linked to is the one I have in my shirt pocket at all times.

Attached Files:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice