1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

attaching pictures

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hatcherca, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

I have Win ME and use outlook express for email. When I send a picture attachment that is 3" X 5", it is greatly enlarged upon being received.

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

hatcherca

when you resize the picture to 3x5 do you save it that size before attaching it?

buck

3. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

yes I do save it when I resize it.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

When I resize to approx.. 3x5 the file size in the message window shows approx..

for.jpg--- 15KB

for .bmp---350KB

Does this happen with everyone you send to or just one in particular( maybe it's on the other end)

buck

5. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

It happens to everyone I send to. I've even sent to myself and it does the same.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

What program are you using to resize? What's the type/size of the file that appears in the message window when you attach?

buck

7. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

I'm using microsoft photo editor. On one particular picture it says in the attachment line "3yellowroses.jpg(388KB). The actual size of the picture is 5" X 4" when I view it in my photo editor.

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

I'm not familiar with MS Photo Editor but 388KB is a very large jpg file. Some how it is not resizing correctly. About 600 x 400 pixels is good for email and fits on 15" monitor without scrolling.

You could download and try Irfranview . It's a very popular image viewer and it's free.

buck

9. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, Buck. I will download IrfanView

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

no problem :)
    let us know how you make out

good luck

buck

11. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

I've installed InfranView but I don't know how to access it.

12. buck52

buck52 Banned

Did you download the self extracting file or the zipped version?

You need to go to where you downloaded it to and find the iview361.exe file and click on it to install it.

If you download the self extracting version save it to your desktop and when it is done just click on the iview361 icon to start the install

buck

13. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

iview download went well....but i'm still having the same problem. a 3" x 5" picture is received by email recipient as a 14" X 16" picture. i called @home support and they told me they thought it was a microsoft problem. is that helpful information?

14. buck52

buck52 Banned

The image is arriving 14 x 16 I believe because of the 388KB file size. Try resizing one with Irfranview...

Open Irfranview..click file then open...find a picture then click open it...now click the image tab..then resize/resample... in that window put a dot next to 640 x 480 Pixels then click OK.. then click on the file tab then save as.. in the save as window save in where ever you normally save pictures then give it a name and save as type make sure it saya JPG then click save...now open an email and attach that picture. the file size should be under 100KB.

PS.. before you attach it you can check the file size by right clicking on it wherever you saved it and clicking properties.

hope that helps

buck

15. hatcherca

hatcherca Thread Starter

I did all of that. It still isn't working properly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice