• I'd like to know too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It MAY WORK.

• It will LIKELY WORK.

• It will SURELY WORK.

• We can't tell unless we try (In other words, experimental.)

• Don't know.

• Total voters

ConsciousThinker

Leo
Current System Config:
OS INFO
============================
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.18363 N/A Build 18363
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. V17.10, 8/10/2012
System Type: x64-based PC
HARDWARE INFO
Total Physical Memory: 10,239 MB
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 4450e Processor (Manually Unlocked the 2nd core using BIOS)
GPU: Radeon R3 230 2GB

[(You can skip through the story unless you want something entertaining out of it) As you can see the hardware is a bit old, my family is considering to buy I new PC, I am getting ideas as that one would only be used for official use and I could really use the hardware, If I am able to convince them, I'll get that budget Ryzen R3 3200G which is far better than the processor I am using now.

As you tech guys know my current system is running on an older DDR3 RAM systems, when first bought, this had 2GB RAM lol (ALSO didn't have the GPU imagine it lol, bought that from a friend later after buying RAM stick. Luckily, he was the one selling it to get a new one, no body does that in my place, seriously. Got lucky there.), later a few years ago, I had to search for DDR3 RAM at least 8 GB. I managed to find one after returning a fake 2GB RAM labeled 8GB, what if I didn't know something about hardware that guy in the shop ad already have robbed me.
I managed to get the RAM working, didn't need to turn the clock speeds down it automatically ran at a lower frequency to match with the existing RAM. I was surprised that old RAM was compatible with this automated system by MSI mobo.
So, now, all my games and data stored and set up in this system is necessary for me. I can set it up all again but it'd take a lot of time. A LOT!

By now you have guessed what's in my mind now. I don't want to shift everything if I can keep it simple and make it work. So, what's I am trying to know?
Can I run the system or do I need to install Windows 10 again and start from the beginning and a clear setup, IF I shift this HDD (I also extended it by buying a 3TB HDD. Before that I had 320GB lol. I can't part with things easily, I mean it's hard for me to delete things like old games, memories, movies, music etc. sure, 3TB does sound like an overkill for this old computer but this PC is what I use to spend my most of my time, so it's important to me.)
{End of backstory}]

So, the big and final question, will the existing Windows 10 system in the HDD (Along with the application softwares that are set up) adjust to the new hardware and architecture of the new PC? or will it just not run? or will it crash?
And I'd like to know if anyone tried this, and what were the results. Your opinion is valuable to me and it's an important part that may make me think differently. Thank you.

crjdriver

Yes, it can be done IF you follow the procedure outlined in the guide. Do understand you are going to need a new windows lic. After changing the motherboard etc, it will not be activated.
The only thing the guide saves you is the time spent on doing a clean install. You still have to purchase either a new copy of windows OR purchase a new lic.

ConsciousThinker

Leo
Yes, it can be done IF you follow the procedure outlined in the guide. Do understand you are going to need a new windows lic. After changing the motherboard etc, it will not be activated.
The only thing the guide saves you is the time spent on doing a clean install. You still have to purchase either a new copy of windows OR purchase a new lic.
Wow, thank you for specifically noting that out. A new license roger that. Greatly apricate the help.

Another question, I have two HDDs, one has the windows installed in it, and it also has partitions. It's a 320GB Samsung HDD. The other drive that I added later is the 3TB Toshiba one that has all my games, music, movies and old memories stored in it.
I now think its easy for me just move any necessary files from the Samsung one to the Toshiba one and then do a clean windows install on the new SSD that I'll buy with the new PC. and I will give it the Toshiba HDD to store my files. SO, I think this will work.
Now another question arises in my mind, will I need two windows OS copy/license? Because I will be transferring my 320 to that new PC and doing a clean install. still the motherboard changed, so I assume it will need a new license, but I don't know, only you can tell me. That will be one. and I will need another Windows copy in this system for the SSD? so, two?
Or perhaps another better way to do this?
Thank you again.

ConsciousThinker

Leo
That is a good way to do it, but I think I want do something different. I not only want to swap a new motherboard but also the casing and PSU (This one is important for me because it'd let me chose powerful GPU in future if I get it. current one is poor and it is simply a safer choice to set up the new motherboard with the new PSU. This one probably has an issue of not booting to windows correctly, motherboard is fine, I think, system is just as it was years before, a bit faster for windows updates and the additional RAM). I think now, that I have to do a clean install. Glad that my files are on a separate drive. Still have the options open. This computer is surprisingly functional and I'd not let it go to waste. It even runs games like Metal Gear Solid V, lol, sometimes runs Fallout 4 (low fps but I can tolerate)...

If nothing I'd keep this PC as it is. and later by a new one and attach the storage drive to that. Can't be simpler. haha....

ConsciousThinker

Leo
I see, the procedure (It was very clearly described in distinct steps) must be followed as it is. I will certainly keep it on top of my mind when thinking about doing that. Thank you.

crjdriver

No, you just need a single windows lic. You can attach as many drives as you want OR have pw/data connections for drives.

ConsciousThinker

Leo
No, you just need a single windows lic. You can attach as many drives as you want OR have pw/data connections for drives.
Thank you again. Probably buying that PC within 2days.
Here is what I decided to do.
I will keep this one like it is. and I will just take out my storage 3TB disk and other data on c drive and I will attach it with the new system and do a clean install on this one.
Thank you again for you valuable time and advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online