1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attachment Files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Sara53, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sara53

Sara53 Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can get a list of the default settings for the various file type/opening program associations for E-mail attachments? I've searched here and at Microsoft. I'm running Win 98SE and Outlook Express/Incredimail. I was trying to fix a problem with one type of file not opening and screwed them all up!:(

Thanks,
    Sara

2. Moby

Moby

Don't know if you can get a list. If you wanna post the types of files you're getting a problem with, probably not that many different types of file, we can tell you what programme to pick.
    Type of file and e-mail attachment aren't really linked. The type of file you'll get in an e-mail attachment is entirely down to the person who sent it, you can get any and all types of file as an e-mail attachment. You'll just need to re-associate the file types within windows.

3. Sara53

Sara53 Thread Starter

It seems to be the *.eml, *.mht, HTML and *.email files--I've tried associating them with IE, Avant Browser, MS Photo Editor (some were pictures and MS Paint said they weren't bmp files). This all start when I started getting *.mht attachments from a friend and they kept going to Paint. Now I can't even open files that worked before and I can't remember the original settings (bad, bad....no notes!). I even tried re-installing IE6, hoping that it would reset the defaults--no help. OE can't be re-installed by itself.

I'm missing my best jokes!:eek: Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Sara

4. Moby

Moby

I would run a full updated virus scan first.
    .email file can be renamed to .eml file. That and the other .eml files open with outlook express, you'll have to browse to the mismn file in otlook express folder if OE doesn't show up as a choice intitially.
    Mht html files should open with internet explorer.
    How are you associating them and what windows?

5. Sara53

Sara53 Thread Starter

Norton just ran a full virus scan and I'm a bit obsessive about keeping the system clean--SpyBot and AdAware get a workout.

I changed the associations by going My Computer->View->File types. I then edited HTML and eml files to open with different things (as above). The up shot was that now nothing opens. I re-associated the files with the IE browser and a browser window opens, but nothing shows--it's blank.

I'm running Win 98 SE with all updates, IE6 with all updates and I use Avant Browser as an IE shell. I also use Incredimail. I've tried opening the files in OE with the same results I got in Incredimail. I can forward an example if it would help.

Sara

6. Sancho

Sancho

did you ever see text or anything?

maybe somebody is attaching blank documents/emails. kinda far fetched, but its a possibility. some email servers crop off all the text in attachments or the attachments completely.

7. Sara53

Sara53 Thread Starter

I've had that happen in the past so I know what you are talking about, but this has been going on for a couple of days now, ever since I fiddled with some settings :)rolleyes: ). They are from regular correspondents that I usually have no trouble with, so I'm pretty sure it's something I screwed up.

Sara

8. Moby

Moby

It wouldn't harm to see that example.

9. Sara53

Sara53 Thread Starter

Here's the latest. This is from someone that I've never had a problem with opening their attachments.

Sara

I can't send it as an attachment. I'll need to forward it to an email address.

10. JayT

JayT

The answer to your problem probably lies in one of the above.

11. Sara53

Sara53 Thread Starter

I've been using them both for months with no problem--that didn't start until I started re-associating file types and messed them up. I'm just trying to find out what the defaults are.

Sara

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice