1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

attachment mystery

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by n693w, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n693w

n693w Thread Starter

Good morning

I'm a new member and have a problem with my e mail using Outlet Express.

All of a sudden a couple of weeks ago many of my incoming e mails from different people that have attachments switch to Word when I click on the attachment and come up as nothing but a mass of letters and symbols.

Any idea of how to correct the problem?

Thanks

N693W

2. Joggie721

Joggie721

n693w,

Sounds like you have some how set some file types to open with word. Please try saveing the attachment to the desktop then open it. Let me know if it tries to open in word or with the correct program?

3. n693w

n693w Thread Starter

I just tried to open via th desktop and it went to Word.....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help

4. Joggie721

Joggie721

Please do this. now Right click the file and choose "Open With" when the window pops up, it will ask you which program you want to use. so if it is a excel spread sheet (.xls) then choose that program and then you will see a check box that says "always use this program.." you can also open your Control Panel then click on folder options and then choose File Types Tab. There you will see which extension is associated with which program and you can then change them. My guess is that there are some basic files that you use all the time and you accidently associated them or some how they got changed. Please try this.

If this does not work then please post the different file type extensions you are trying to open ie .txt .zip .xls..... that open with word.

5. n693w

n693w Thread Starter

Bingo - that did the trick. I clicked on Outlet Express tpo be used with the attachments and everything works well.

Thanks so much for your quick response

Take care

6. Joggie721

Joggie721

No problem

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice