1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attachments gone awry

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by xxltall, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxltall

xxltall Thread Starter

Recently I corrupted my XP system. I had to have some unbackedup data recovered from my hard drive and the system restored. I reinstalled all my applications and resumed playing an e-mail chess game via Webmail. Previously, when I or my opponent clicked Open to open an attachment, we would be prompted to save or open the attachment. Now the attachment opens without prompting and reveals a move list without the chessboard graphic. This is not what we want -- we want to save the attachment and later open the file with a special chess application.

The problem is not limited to chessplaying. I've sent test e-mail to myself with simple text file attachments. They are displayed inline, without even a prompt to open or save. Somewhere a setting has redirected how my e-mail attachments are handled. It's not in the Webmail settings, it's in XP. Does anyone know where this setting is so that I can change it?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I don't have XP but wouldn't that be in security settings??

Savvy :)

3. xxltall

xxltall Thread Starter

Thanks, Savvy, but the problem does not appear to be security- related. My wife has a machine that runs Windows 98. It handles attachments the way I like, yet its Security settings (under Internet Options) are identical to the settings on my XP machine.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I meant the mail security... but i may be totally off base

5. xxltall

xxltall Thread Starter

Thanks again, SavvyLady. I use Onebox, a brand of Webmail. No blocking or filtering is active on the e-mail I receive, and no other security options are available. It's a mystery.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I went to bed thinking about this one & for the life of me can not recall how you change that setting......
    Maybe someone else can!

Savvy :)

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Ken,

Are you sure there's not some setting in your onebox account, under options or user preferences that needs to be reset?

In any event, I think I'll move this to the email/internet forum where you may get some better responses.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice