1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attachments to E-mail

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by modo50, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modo50

modo50 Thread Starter

I have Windows 98 and use outlook express for e-mail. I can't open attachments sent on e-mail. What do I do?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

First, it's not and never advisable to open any attachment from anyone!

That said here's how you disable this excellent free anti-virus protection from Microsoft. Again, disabling this feature is not recommended. Please re-enable it immediately after viewing the attachment; Close; then restart Outlook Express:

Turn off the Option to Use the Unsafe File List

To turn off the Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus option:
    Start Outlook Express.
    On the Tools menu, click Options.
    Click the Security tab, click to clear the Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus check box under Virus Protection, and then click OK. Close then restart Outlook Express for the changes to take effect and view the attachment.

STATUS
    This behavior is by design.

3. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody

I will add a note to the excellent advice posted above.

The reason you do not want to open attachments, or to leave your Outlook Express enabled to open attachments, is because some attachments are designed to open automatically. If one contains a virus, then you would not be able to catch it before it opened.

If you have virus software installed, you will note that the virus software MAY stop the virus from getting into the computer, but this is a secondary stop gap. The best way is to ensure that your security is turned on as indicated in the post above.

If someone you know sends you an attachment, and you feel it is safe, then of course, turn the security option off long enough to open the attachment. Try to make it a habit to turn the option on again as soon as you open the attachment. Everyone forgets.

Btw, I have been virus-free ever since I purchased Norton Firewall and antivirus. It is good product.

Good luck,
    Peabody

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice