1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attack of the Motorola 6809....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steven1350, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steven1350

steven1350 Thread Starter

I was at school today doing some assembly programming on a god-forsaken 6809 processor. The board is external and connected to the computer via the serial port. It is also connected to a molex connector from the computers PSU

So after I was done, I started to screw around a bit, and decided to short some contacts underneath the board (i know, i know). So, I expected the board to restart, but instead the computer it was connected to fully shut off. I pressed the power button, nothing. Again, still nothing. Fearing that I broke a school computer, I pulled the computers plug from the wall socket, hoping for a miricle. Sure enough, the computer springs back to life.

So, what do you think, how did the computer come to a near death scenario? And what havok will I unleach with this newfound knowledge?

2. steven1350

steven1350 Thread Starter

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I suspect that you may have shorted or overloaded one of the power supply outputs from the computer. This may have tripped an overload sensing circuit in the power supply that shut down all of the power outputs. The overload sensing circuit may have needed complete removal of the AC power to reset. The power button on the front of a modern computer does not really kill the AC mains input to the power supply.

FWiW, My first home computer was as Radio Shack Color computer that was based on the 6809. I sold it in a few years and got the newer Color Computer version that came with 64K of RAM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice