1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attacked - now dvd drive is invisible and unusable

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ctovey2009, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ctovey2009

ctovey2009 Thread Starter

I recently got rid of an attack on my computer. It was win32/adware.m.64 and win32/privacyremover/m.64 or something to that effect. I had lost the option of chaninging my computer's background, and the ability to use and see my dvd drive.

I got all functions back except the dvd drive issue. It does show up in my device manager, with problems. Driver corrupted or not installed...Code 39

It has the drivers but there is something else holding it back from being recognized by windows.

If anyone has any suggestions, please help me. I have tried everything I can think of. I have even tried downloading new drivers str8 from Dell's website....but it's an installer program. It has to recognize your drive...then download the firmware update. That didnt work because it's not seeing the device.
    Please help me.. Thanks in advance!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

In Device Manager, right click on the DVD device and choose Update Driver Software. See if that works. If that doesnt work, try right click, uninstall and let Windows redetect the drive and install the driver again.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. ctovey2009

ctovey2009 Thread Starter

I have done both of those already. I have disabled it, re-enabled it, deleted the driver, and let windows auto detect it.....still it notices it...but with problems...driver problems. I cant get a direct driver update from dell. Just a firmware upgrade that doesnt work.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If cd gone doesn't bring it back the drive is dead. You can't get drivers for a drive from Dell or anyone else, they are native to Windows.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!