Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attempt to Image my PC HDD

498 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Downloaded Macrium & went ahead Reflect to Image my "WD" HDD.

Ende up with a DVD "RESCUE" of 250MB.

Rescue? a bit confusing when I selected IMAGE & was expectibg one of a few "GB" from a 1TB HD with 7 partitions stuffed for years with programs & files.

The I tried the same on my old 500 GB spare HD (where I copy the vidal & sencitive stuff, having failed to Backup numerus times over the years), & presto same result with that one , a Rescue disk.

Is a rescue disk an image?, or should I go through it all again with Acronis, please enlighten me & help me how to backup. ......thanx ......nick

#2 ·
Nick,

Usually, a rescue disk is a bootable disk image that will help do a restore or allow access to a damaged PC. What you really need is a system backup. That is the image you would restore in the event of a crash/failure. The bootable rescue disk would restore the backup image. And you are correct that a system backup should be several GB's, if not hundreds. Run Macrium again and look for a system backup option.

You don't mention what you are storing the backup on. It will need to be large enough to hold the system image. A flash drive is not likely to be large enough. Something like an external HDD, or USB HDD, etc.

#4 ·
FWIW I do all imaging, cloning, etc from the acronis boot usb. I am not a fan of having the program running all of the time however that is up to you. In any case, you should make the bootable usb so as to be able to do a bare metal restore [if a hd fails]

#5 ·
FWIW, I use AOMEI Backupper. The paid version isn't a lot of money, and it has a whack-load of features, including a bootable restore. And depending on the version you purchase, it is allowed on more than one device. I recall the version I have being allowed on three (3) different PCs.

#7 ·
Used to be; mandatory retirement at age 65.

The acronis program will make the bootable usb for you. It is one of the options under the tools menu.
You do need to install the program and after you make the usb, you can either just leave the program installed or uninstall. It is just my personal preference to not have acronis running all of the time.

#8 ·
I just managed to download it & make the bootable thing by selecting the Windows option to put on astick later, but where is it saved?, in my ninties the grey matter is slagish. I'll find it later.

So am I out of the A310s 35 years ago based in Europe. What do people fly out there? ......nick

#10 ·
Oh, the file [which is probably an ISO] is saved wherever you save files. Most likely in your downloads folder or perhaps the my documents folder.
You would need to use something like rufus to create the bootable usb from the file. This is really an unneeded step since the program will make it for you. You would need a usb drive inserted before you start the program AND all data on the drive will be destroyed so be sure there is nothing you need on the usb drive.

#12 ·
No, I think you need to start over. Put your usb drive in a port and open the acronis program. Under the tools menu, it should have some reference to a rescue or boot disk/drive. Click on that and you can choose either linux or windows pe. I always use the linux version since the one time I tried windows pe, it would not boot however up to you.
You then choose what drive ie your usb and it should take a few min to make the bootable usb. Note you also have the option for a bootable dvd however many new systems do not have an optical drive.

#13 ·
I read your post as attempting to make the boot drive. If you were attempting to make the image, my mistake. The file in the docs folder is just the info on the image. The actual image file would be on another drive, external or wherever you told it to be stored. The image file should have a .tib suffix. If you do not know where it is, you can do a search in explorer for files with that suffix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.