Attempted install of ASUS dvd drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

escapistgamer

Hello,

So I wanted to change my dvd drive because my old one was going the way of the dodo bird. I managed to remove it while the computer was off and then install the new ASUS dvd drive I bought on Amazon. I proceded to simply hook up the Sata cable to the ASUS p6t SE board I have (yes I know this is old), and I used a sata power to [prong power hookup from the power supply] adapter not knowing my Cooler master 650w supply already had a sata power cable.

Question is this: Firstly when powering on I swore I started to smell some faint electrical burning smell...wonderful! Not sure if the sata to prong looking power adapter was malfuntioning or hooked up wrong and cooked my new DVD-drive. After an attempted boot I also got a blue screen saying that a driver has corrupted my system and I can attempt to reboot. So I figured this was obviously the result of me trying to install a new dvd drive or the power adapter issue causing a problem.

After unhooking the power adapter and putting the correct sata power connector from my power supply into the back of the drive and making sure the sata cable was connected securely to a Sata port I booted up and checked the BIOS. No drive at all detected... I can't even get the dvd tray to open on the new drive when the computer is properly booted up.

Currently I have the drive still hooked up, windows managed to boot, but I can't do anything with the drive at all for some reason. Bad drive? Did I fry the drive with the adapter I used due to the electrical smell? I'm confused here. But hopefully this gives you enough info to maybe help me.

I also have not installed any drivers for this dvd rom but do have the disk that came with it. Do I have to install a driver for an ASUS dvd player?

No drivers needed for any DVDs player
Do u have a pic of the adapter
Did u secure the cables good in the drive and mobo
U can always return the drive to Amazon and get another amazon are awesome when it comes to returns

escapistgamer

Yeah I might try to return it, but it might also be my fault. The cables seemed secured in the device and on the motherboard. On startup when I try to set the BIOS Sata 5/6 to cdrom (cause I am not sure which one it was I hooked it up to due to how its stacked) it shows Sata 5 and 6 ATAPI incompatible on boot up when showing all the standard boot up messages; both messaged appear together one for sata 5 then for 6 underneath. Maybe its my motherboard that can't use a sata type dvd drive and needs some ATAPI dvd drive?

The picture of the adapter is here: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31-H42fBKtL.jpg

I suppose I can always buy another if this one was fried due to power adapter I apparently didn't need...

I bet u connected the white molex connecter the wrong way......it only goes in one way

escapistgamer

I could have sworn I put it in right but with the funky smell, and a BSOD I very well might have screwed up. Oh well I guess I can buy another and just use the Sata power cord my power supply apparently does have. Ugh!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Check that the Sata controller for sockets 5 & 6 is enabled in the Bios; often it's a different one than for 1 to 4.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online