1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attempted RAM Installation, Computer Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djhw97, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djhw97

djhw97 Thread Starter

Hey folks,

Recently I picked back up some of my old favorite PC games. One thing I noticed is that some games would take up nearly half of the allotted memory I gave to them. For example, I allowed Minecraft 2048MB of memory to use, and sometimes it ranged upwards of 70% or so in usage. To alleviate this issue, I went to the store and picked up 16 GB of RAM, hoping it'd run things faster and allowing me to store more on my desktop.

I swapped out the sticks of RAM I had in before and replaced them with the new sticks, but when I tried to turn back on my computer, it wouldn't turn on. So here's a list of things I tried or things I noticed:

- Checked the PSU, unplugged and replugged, checked to see if running on a wall outlet or extension cord mattered. Nothing really changed, computer wouldn't turn on.

- The first few times I tried turning it on, the power light would flick on, as well as the fans, but they'd sputter out within a second or two.

- Tried to reinstall the old RAM sticks, tried mixing-and-matching them in different ports in case one was faulty (I had 6 GB of RAM installed initially, only 4 was present on my desktop, so one port must be faulty, right?).

- Motherboard light was still on, not sure exactly what that means.

- Not only does my case's power button not turn on the computer, but the button that allows me to toggle the fan's red backlight is also not working. Does this mean there's a power issue related to the case?

I'm more than happy to fetch any information necessary to find a solution to the problem, but as I said, the computer doesn't even turn on, so there's not a lot of information I can retrieve. Moreover, I have little to no understanding of a computer's inner-workings. I just remember RAM to be relatively easy to install, but I guess I managed to screw that up too. If anybody has an idea of how I could fix this problem, I'd be very grateful. Thanks for your time!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't provide any description of your computer and its motherboard
    You didn't provide a description and capacity of its original RAM.

You didn't provide a description and capacity of its new RAM.

We aren't there to see your computer and what you did, so the more details you provide, the better.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. djhw97

djhw97 Thread Starter

Sabertooth X58 motherboard, Intel i7 processor, not sure about the graphics card but it's a slightly older (still very reliable) Nvidia card.

Original RAM = three Avant 2GB 1333MHz. DDR3. Not sure what information I can provide for these, not well-versed on anything computer related but I've got them here in front of me.

New RAM = two PNY XLR8 8GB 1866MHz sticks. DDR3, CAS 10, 1.5V.

Sorry. As I've stated, I have little to no idea what I'm doing. I don't know what information to provide right off of the bat, but I'll try and be more all-encompassing. I suppose you're right; the more the better!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 Motherboard
    It has 6 DIMM slots and has triple channel architecture.
    It supports a maximum of 24 GB(4 GB X 6) of RAM.

If I'm reading the third part of post #3 correctly:
    It originally had 3 - 2 GB DDR3-1333 modules.
    You replaced them with 2 - 8 GB DDR3-1866 modules.

You cannot install a module larger than 4 GB because of its maximum supported amount(24 GB) and number of DIMM slots(6).
    4 GB x 6 = 24 GB

There may also be a problem with the speed(DDR3-1866) you bought.
    DDR3-1600 appears to be the maximum recommended speed.

-----------------------------------------------

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Are you running a 64 bit version of Windows ? If not you will have less than 4GB of ram available even if you install more than 4GB.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As for the not turning on part, you may need to try a different power supply. If you have to go out and buy a power supply to test then make sure its a quality unit and a minimum of 500 watts, more if you have a power hungry video card. There should be a model number printed on the video card itself.

Hopefully you had the power unplugged and the power drained from the system when you were installing the RAM?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice