1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attempted to install 2nd hard drive; ended up with "DISK BOOT FAILURE"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dissembly, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dissembly

dissembly Thread Starter

Hey all,

I just bought and installed a 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS hard drive in addition to my existing hard drive. It was not detected by Windows XP, although the serial number ST32000542AS showed up in BIOS.

I noticed that for a split second as i started up, there was a screen with the word "RAID" and instructions saying "press ctrl + I", so i restarted, pressed "ctrl + I" and it took to me to something that said it was for the setup of a raid disk (or something like that).

I thought, "Oh, this must be where you format the new hard drive so that it will be recognised."

So i went through a very simple menu that had me select stripe size and some other features that looked very basic an un-threatening, and then finished the RAID setup thing.

I restarted the computer, and now it says:

DISK BOOT FAILURE; INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

At that point i had a heart attack. Can anybody help me? I have no idea what is going on.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

ssomehow you have configured RAID which "sees" all discs as one , remove the new disc or just disconnect it try to re boot from your original hard drive

there will be a distinct possibility that you have knackered your xp installation and may have to re install

if you have stuff on your comp you want then you will need to try to acess it

download.....burn the image with img burn set it to burn slow boot your comp from the disc will take some time to load hopefully thne you will be able to access your files

http://partedmagic.com/

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

3. dissembly

dissembly Thread Starter

Hmm, i have backups of all my files. If i just re-install from scratch (as i dont care that much about recovering the files), will that work?

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

raid is initially contgrolled via aprogramme via bios , check your mobo that raid is not configured , if in doubt or confused then just reset bios by taking battery out for a miniute to return to when you first bought it,you may need to reenable cd/rom for first boot device if you do this

reinstall with original HDD or if you want the new one connect the "slave one" afterwards

access mobo bios pressing delete button on start up

5. dissembly

dissembly Thread Starter

Wait, i don't understand - do you mean that i should do something to BIOS before trying to re-install Windows?

6. dissembly

dissembly Thread Starter

Okay... i went into BIOS, pressed Ctrl + I again, and there was an option to remove the RAID configuration, and i selected it.

So, this means that my hard disks are not running with RAID?

Does that mean i can safely reinstall windows?

7. dissembly

dissembly Thread Starter

Update:

I have inserted the Windows XP Home disk.

First i pressed "R", for recovery, but it said there was nothing there to recovery. So i thought, okay, i'll just do a fresh install. But THEN it told me there are no hard drives.

And now, my computer stalls at "Verifying VMI Pool Data", and will not boot from the Windows XP Home disk *AT ALL*.

I have no idea what to do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice