1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attempted to install adaptor now can't connect to internet, please help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lindaw76107, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lindaw76107

lindaw76107 Thread Starter

I have Win 98SE with SBC Yahoo DSL internet service on home PC. I installed a Netgear wirelesss router and all was well for connecting both home PC and new laptop to internet. Only thing I noticed different was that previous to installation I connected via my Ethernet 300 on my PC and after installation, I had to connect thorugh Internet Explorer. Now the problem, I attempted to install Netgear USB Adaptor so I could access printer and files on PC with 98SE and new laptop with Windows xp. I say attempted as I encountered problems with installation (the instructions on CD provided weren't very user friendly as to when or how to connect the adaptor and I was running out of time) so I uninstalled the program. Now, I can't access the internet on my home PC, but can on laptop. I have tried both the ethernet 300 that i use to use and Internet Explorer. When I click on Internet Explorer, I get an error "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down, sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused." Originally, I got a Yop error and a Ycommon error on startup of the PC. I unchecked the Yop from msconfig and don't get the Yop error anymore. Ycommon did come up this morning. Please advise what I need to do. Hate to call SBC dsl support as previous experience has not been good with them. Thanks so much!

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

Uninstalling Yahoo Messenger should remove both the Yop error and Ycommon error. It may be what is causing your internet problem too.

If your home PC is the Windows 98se machine, you can try a scanreg /restore to fix it.

3. lindaw76107

Tnx, I will try it and let you know.

4. lindaw76107

I uninstalled yahoo messenger, but that didn't resolve the problem. In checking the registry, it says everything is fine. If I buy Internet Explorer, will that resolve my problem? I may have to break down and call AT&T DSL, but I always get someone that either doesn't speak good english, or doesn't know how to resolve anything,. Any other suggestions?

5. walkeriam

walkeriam

Are you trying to fix the 98 machine? If so, you can do a scanreg /restore (see below) to try and fix it.

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu.

2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.

4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer

6. lindaw76107

Yes, it is the 98 machine that I am trying to fix.
    I did just as you said above. There was one restore I needed to do, and then I restarted my computer. This didn't correct the problem either. When I try to establish a new connection, i.e. double click on "connect to Internet" from my desktop, it says "failed to load internet connection wizard component".
    Next suggestion? Thanks so much for your assistance, I do appreciate it.

7. walkeriam

walkeriam

lindaw76107,
    Try setting up a LAN connection again. To do this go to START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>COMMUNICATIONS>INTERNET CONNECTION WIZARD and put a dot in the circle for "I WANT TO SET UP MY INTERNET CONNECTION MANUALLY" and click NEXT. Then click to put a dot in the circle for "I CONNECT THROUGH A LOCAL AREA NETWORK (LAN)" and click NEXT. Then put a check mark in the box that says "AUTOMATIC DISCOVERY OF PROXY SERVER (recommended)" and click NEXT. If it ask to set up a mail account click NO and then NEXT. UN-CHECK the box to connect to the Internet Immediately and click FINISH. Then restart your computer and see if you then have an Internet connection.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice