1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attempting to cut the wires

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bxmag, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bxmag

bxmag Thread Starter

I have a small home network setup and running well.

netgear rp114 router
    2 desktops
    1 laptop
    and a cable connection

I'm trying to research cutting the cat5 cable on the laptop and setting me free to use within any room in the house rather than being locked into the kitchen table.

Questions

I'm I locked into staying with netgear or is the manf. not important?

Is a wireless connection much slower than a hard wired connection?

What is a fair estimate of distance allowed by a wireless connection?

If I plug a hub into one of the ports of the router is this the best way to expand the number of open ports?

2. wedor

wedor

Isn't the RP-114 a single port router? Wireless is slower, limited to about 10mbps unless you buy the latest type which gets up to about 40. It is usually best to stay with same brand components but you can get away with different brands in some cases. 300ft is usually max but the speed drops as the length grows. How are you sharing now without a hub?

3. bxmag

bxmag Thread Starter

rp114 router is a 4 port "Cable/dsl web safe router" as label on the box.

4 port and 3 machines! It was a small pain when I was setting the network up, but no big deal. Now everything works great. I was just considering the freedom of no wires for the laptop.

If I plug in a hub in the last / only open port will this enable me to have more ports?

I like the speed of the cat5 cable downgrading to wireless speed would be ok if I could add the hub therefore adding ports, enabling me to keep the cat5 and add the wireless connection.

4. wedor

wedor

Yes you can plug a hub into an open port, this will give you more ports although they will be going through the single router port. This will work fine as long as you are not trying to transfer large amounts of data through that port from several machines simultaneously, seems an unlikely scenario in your situation.

I'm not sure I follow the last question.

The speed on a DSL connection is below the 10mbps speed so you would notice no drop with wireless in that usage, only if you were doing file transfers would it be noticeable.

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice