1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attempting to restore true Administator privileges to the Admin account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr Davo, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I am using a Windows 7 client on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain (and I am the Administrator of the Domain). The client that I am using is refusing to let me add addition User Accounts to the Administrator group (despite the fact that I am logged on as the Domain Administrator).

[​IMG]

Furthermore if I attempt to log onto the client computer as the local Administrator by specifying the computer name rather than the Domain name at logon I see the following -

[​IMG]

Finally if I then follow, these http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/
    instructions to enable the hidden administrator account I am met with the following message -

[​IMG]

I have considered an offline password reset disk, however the local ('hidden') Administrator account is disabled! This feels like a catch 22, can anybody offer any suggestions on how to restore true Administrative access?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

In Windows, click the Start orb, type in:

cmd

then, while holding down the [Ctrl] and left-[Shift] keys with your left hand, press the [Enter] key with your right. You could also right-click the cmd.exe that you see come up in a list, and then select "Run as administrator".

Now try typing your "net user admin..." command.

If it doesn't work, it's because you are not, (for some reason), at an Administrator cmd prompt.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Perhaps the client machine lost contact with the Domain server.

4. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi All,

Whilst I can (and have) right clicked and run the cmd prompt as the Administrator the 'net user...' command fails regardless. Basically full Admin rights on the computer have been removed somehow. The computer is still in contact with the Domain, as I can logon with Domain accounts, and access the file server.

Kind Regards,

David

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try a System Restore.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1123338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice