1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attempting to run Linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Jof, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jof

Jof Thread Starter

I have got and installed Ubuntu but when it comes to the screen (im a windows user) to change OS's i cant use my keyboard to select ubuntu, rather it just gives me ~12 seconds to change or else logs me on to windows. It wont even let me toggle num lock/caps lock etc. This sometimes also doesnt work if my computer has been incorrectly shut down and it gives you the option to "press any key to skip"

This might be in the wrong section so sorry if it is >_<
    Cheers in advance

Jof

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I assume a Linux live CD runs ok on your computer?
    I believe that something went amiss during your install, or you perhaps got a bad Linux CD. Usually grub comes up with a choice of operating systems, and if nothing is chosen it will boot into Linux first -- so if it were installed properly that's what should happen unless you instructed it to do other wise during installation.
    I'd try installing again and see what happens - of course you need to backup everything first in case you wipeout the HD. Good luck, and you will really like Ubuntu.

3. Jof

Jof Thread Starter

I'm not on a live CD though-i forgot, sorry im using 'wubi' apparently it just lets you install/uninstall on your windows but gives you the other option. I got to just between a few different Linux's (?) Knoppix/Ubuntu etc. Its also not just when changing an operating system though, its when i get the "your computer has been incorrectly shut down" (My sisters a genius at computers...:( ) and it wont let me press any key, or when im forced to switch onto safe mode/safe mode with command prompt/boot up as normal.

Cheers, and im looking forward to running it, if it ever works, i was just wondering though whether it could be something on my settings, ive looked over BIOS but couldn't see anything there.

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Wubi installs Linux to a folder so if your windows OS is acting up to start with then I'm guessing that it's windows that's the problem. What you are trying to do will work if you shrink the windows partition and install Linux side by side with windows using grub as the boot loader. You need to DL an ISO and burn a CD - but, I'd try fixing Windows first!
    However, if you get a live CD it doesn't matter, you can run Linux on top of a bad windows install all day long.

5. Jof

Jof Thread Starter

Thanks alot ^.^, also very fast reply, im impressed :p

6. briealeida

briealeida

Did that work?

I've experienced the same issue. Are you using a USB keyboard? Or a PS/2 keyboard?

7. Jof

Jof Thread Starter

I'm using a USB keyboard, but i havnt had time to try yet as ive been attempting to get it working on my laptop, ive got it working but can't connect to the internet. Just seen theres a reply so im gonna hop off onto that. And ive got work tonight -_- damn college jobs

8. briealeida

briealeida

You're trying on two machines or using a USB keyboard with your laptop?
    What problems connecting to the Internet?

PS - I totally feel your pain on damning college jobs. :-(. Only a few more years!

9. Jof

Jof Thread Starter

USB keyboard on my desktop, on my laptop its all working, im on the interface and playing away at chess, i have another thread for the internet problems which will be just below this one now i think.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice