1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attention No Signal

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by reillymac, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reillymac

reillymac Thread Starter

I sometimes get the Attention No Signal on my Advent P22W monitor. I recently installed Windows 7 on an HP Pavillion Desktop. I have had a friend who knows more about computers than I do have a look at it - he downloaded updated drivers and kept it running for 5 days without any problem. I brought it home and it is now a bit 'hit and miss' if it actually works.

Yesterday I reinstalled Windows 7 and kept the PC on all day - used the internet, played scrabble...nothing too exciting on it. This morning when I switched it on back came the 'Attention No Signal' message.

The Advent monitor is working perfectly well with another desktop. I have changed the VGA (?) cable; I have changed the power cable; I have tried it on a TV/monitor with HDMI and still I have this 'hit and miss' situation.

I've looked at other posts but to be honest as one of the computer illiterate mentioned on another post - none of it makes much sense to me. If anyone is patient enough to help explain what I can do simply I would be very grateful

2. antech

antech Banned

Is the graphic still working?
    See if it has malfunctioned by attaching another monitor

3. reillymac

reillymac Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me....I have tried it to a TV/PC Monitor - to be honest when it had VISTA on it I had no problems at all - it appears to have only been since loading Windows 7. As I mentioned it was fine yesterday and today nothing - and this is what has happened before. Yesterday it stayed on all day and I thought that reinstalling W7 had sorted it (previously it might only have stayed on for an hour or so) - but it looks like I was wrong

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's got to be either the cable's connection to the graphics card or the card itself

If the card is an installed card it may need reseating. Needless to say make sure everything is fully clamped down and no pins are bent.

5. reillymac

reillymac Thread Starter

Thanks - so now I reveal my ignorance - how do I check this out - when I open the PC how will I know which is the Graphics card (and which cable is connected) - I use the pc for work but with the exception of fitting a network card once have never actually played around with the inside of the thing!

6. Megabite

Megabite

Look where the monitor cable is connected to the back of the PC....when you take the side off see if it is connected to the motherboard or a plugged in V-Card

7. reillymac

reillymac Thread Starter

Thanks

I have to go now - and tomorrow I'm working but I will have a go at this on Friday and if it's ok will post again then -

8. antech

antech Banned

List the Model No. and the Company of the card..
    We will check if its Compitable with Windows 7

9. reillymac

reillymac Thread Starter

Hi

I do appreciate this support - I should have mentioned that the monitor cable goes into a fitting that in turn has be screwed onto the fitting on the back of the computer (Like an adapter thingy!).

I have taken the side of the pc and it appears that the Monitor Cable goes into a card that has a small fan attached plus it appears to be connected by black and white cable which goes from it to another card that has a larger fan on it and there is a red and black cable that appears to go to the fan on the back of the pc. I can see Nvidia on the card but can't make out the numbers (if that is what they are)

Because of my inexperience I would be reluctant to remove any of these cables etc - though I have pressed the card down and it appears to be firmly in place.

I guess my confusion really lies in why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't I think my best bet is to take it to a computer store and see what they can do.

Again thanks everyone for your help

10. antech

antech Banned

Prob. Solved?
    If yes,please mark it as solved and if not,
    Please continue replying in this thread.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The cable itself should be easy to remove just by unscrewing the clamps and wiggling it out. The actual card is not much more difficult -- but there may be a hidden clamp in place that can make it difficult for a novice -- and I can understand your reluctance there.

I would experiment with just removing the cable itself and examining the pins on the motherboard side of the connection, then reseat it as you would if you were attaching a monitor for the first time.

If you do take it to a shop I would try to ensure you can reproduce the problem reliably or your trip, and perhaps your money, could be wasted.

12. reillymac

reillymac Thread Starter

Thanks

I did wonder if the problem was being caused by the adapter thing that the Monitor cable plugged into but I also had the problem when I used an HDMI cable - it may well be to do with whatever the cable connects to. I will have another look at it - do I have to use one of those 'grounding' wrist bands when I poke about inside the cabinet? I think for now though it is time for a G & T (sun must be over the yardarm somewhere!)

If I have no further success over the weekend I shall close the thread and stop bothering all the kind people who have tried to help.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If more than one monitor has the issue -- and more than one connection type -- I would have to suspect the card as it is the only common denominator.

You only need to be concerned about grounding when removing cards (memory cards especially) -- otherwise just ensure the system is shut down, avoid working on a carpeted surface, and momemtarily ground one hand to a metal part of the case. You can also remove the power plug itself to be extra secure.

14. reillymac

reillymac Thread Starter

I thought that might be the problem - I take it the card is the Nvidia one? If I bought one of these are they easy to fit - I'm willing to try as I know if I take it to the shop they are likly to blind me with jargon and charge a fortune for doing so.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Nvidia is the display card alright.

The installation procedure is pretty standard. The only heads-up issue I've run into in replacing display cards is that you may find that loosening the standard PCI card clamps common to all the card types is not enough -- and there may be a small clamp on the motherboard where the card actually attaches to the slot that also needs to be released.

Some cards will require an extra power supply cable attachment (the more expensive and powerful ones) and some will not. If you are not a heavy duty gamer you probably do not need an expensive or powerful card.

If this is an older system, make sure you choose the correct type for your motherboard (check the manual)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!