1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attention! Windows 7 SP1 Users - Please Read

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by flavallee, Jan 14, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    Today is January 14, 2020 and is the official end of life(EOL) for all versions of Windows 7 SP1.

Now that the January 14, 2020 patch Tuesday updates have been released, I will be updating and testing my Windows 7 SP1 install and update guide in the next few days.
    If all goes well, it will be submitted to replace the current guide which is now out of date.

On February 11, 2020 patch Tuesday, I will be testing unofficial updates for the "Pro" version of Windows 7 SP1.
    If this testing is successful, it will allow "Pro" users to continue using Windows 7 SP1 and keeping it up to date for at least another 9 - 21 months.

Stay tuned. :whistle:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Sounds good Frank, will keep an eye on this thread for further updates next month.

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    My Windows 7 install and update guide was updated and tested last night and is now available.

If all goes well, a post-EOL guide for "Pro" users will be available after February 2020 patch Tuesday.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Frank, is there anything we need to do at this time with our Win 7 Pro?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Keep using Windows 7 Pro SP1 like you have been - for now.

January 2020 patch Tuesday updated the built-in IE11 browser to version 11.0.170.
    It's unknown at this time if post-EOL updates will continue to update IE11 or if it will remain at version 11.0.170.
    I use Mozilla Firefox Quantum 72.0.1(current version) as a secondary browser, just in case IE11 can no longer be updated.

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials 4.10.209.0(current version) as its antivirus app.
    Microsoft announced that it will no longer update it to a newer version, but it hasn't announced when it will stop providing definition updates for it.
    As long as definition updates continue to be provided, I'll keep using it.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Frank, does it have to be Windows 7 Pro ? (I'm running Ultimate right now).

FWIW I was offered (and I installed) updates to that version of MSE yesterday and today.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Allan:
    It's possible the "Ultimate" and "Enterprise" versions may be able to benefit from unofficial post-EOL updates.
    I currently have only the "Professional" version to test, so I can't determine that for now.
    People using the "Starter" and "Home Premium" versions are out of luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for that Frank. I'll be happy to try updating Ultimate if the possibility does arise.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As soon as the February 11, 2020 "patch Tuesday" updates are released, I will test them in a fully up-to-date copy of Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.

If my guess is correct, some or all of these updates will be available:
    Security Monthly Quality Rollup
    Internet Explorer 11
    Servicing Stack

As soon as I complete my testing, which hopefully is successful, I will post the results with instructions on how to obtain and install them.

You can then try the updates in your copy of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit, which I assume is fully up-to-date to January 14, 2020.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Sounds good Frank.

If it matters I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit on this particular laptop but I do have 64-bit on another one so I can test on both. They are both fully updated up to 14th of this month.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I assumed you had 64-bit (which most people do now), but it doesn't matter if it's 32-bit.
    It just needs to be completely up-to-date, including with the January 2020 servicing stack update (KB4536952).

plodr likes this.
  12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I didn't think being 32-bit would matter I just thought I'd mention it.

This old laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) only has 2x2GB of ram, it's DDR2 and 4GB ram sticks are expensive so it's staying that way and 32-bit is fine for it.

I do have that KB4536952 update on it, I'll make sure it's on the 64-bit laptop as well.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Interesting. I did not see the SSU mentioned in the 2 sites I check.
    I've downloaded but haven't installed 4534314, 4534251, and the two NET security components I need 4532960, 4532964 and another one that is included in NET security 4019990.
    I'll now download KB4536952.

I'll also be watching this site for my 32 Windows 7 Home desktop computer.
    https://blog.0patch.com/2019/09/keeping-windows-7-and-windows-server.html

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 10:46 AM
  15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Ron/Allan/Liz:

I set up a test computer today that dual boots with the "Professional" and "Ultimate" versions of Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.
    This will allow me to test the unofficial post-EOL updates on both versions after February 11th "patch Tuesday".
    I'm still hoping that someone develops and releases something that automates the process for Windows 7 SP1 like it was done for Windows XP SP3.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 at 12:45 AM
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice