1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Attn: Slipe

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jess dee, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jess dee

jess dee Thread Starter

I was doing a search on the board and found this informative bit of info Slipe gave out to someone---(scroll down to see it)

So I looked into network-on my computer-and discovered that mine is set to ""MICROSOFT FAMILY LOG IN"

Is it advantageous to change it to """ Windows logon" as you suggested below.? Or leave as is? My computer is working ok-

Note: To better help you ---I am not on a net work--I only have this (1) home computer-and I dont have to sign on using a logon password-- I am the only one here--no fear of someone getting into my files.

Just for learning purposes--whats the difference between the two? (microsoft or windows logon)? Does one over the other effect functionality of the computer

thanks

jess
    --------------------------------------
    {partial quote from Slipe follows}slipe

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network and make sure the computer is set to “Windows Logon”

2. jess dee

jess dee Thread Starter

ut oh--I made the subject Attn: -Slipe---this was a typo--

Please--anyone join in--sorry

3. ETS

ETS

All "MICROSOFT FAMILY LOGON" does is display a list of users (during startup) that use your computer, like if you had different profiles for individuals to log in to. Has no noticeable affect so you can leave as is.

4. jess dee

jess dee Thread Starter

Thanks ETS---I will leave it as is

5. ETS

ETS

Actually, I didn't mean for that response to go through, as I needed to reword it somewhat. Sorry. It does a little more than that, including identifying your computer and username etc. on a network. Anyway, it still won't do any harm unless it annoys you by asking for a password everytime you boot up. In that case, switching to Windows logon usually gets rid of that problem.

6. slipe

slipe

I agree with ETS. My suggestion was to fix a specific problem the person was having. I have mine in windows logon only to avoid the password at boot so it will boot by itself while I pour a cup of coffee. Otherwise the computer works the same.

7. jess dee

jess dee Thread Starter

Thanks Guys-

I appreciate your response--I can see that I'm gonna really enjoy this help site.

Actually I dont have the problem of my computer asking for a password at boot up--- That functionality used to come up when I first got this computer--but not anymore--I think I unchecked something--dont remember what I unchecked or checked--Wish I could remember and go back to it--because one day I may want to utilize the log on pass word functionality-would be nice to know how to do it--if I ever needed it.

I see "Users" in the control panel--but as I understood it, thats for when other people use (share) a computer--and have dif log on names--Thats wouldnt be an issue or apply in my situation--as Im the only one here. I dont share my computer.

Oh well,maybe if I look deeply enough into the recesses of this computer one day I may stumble on the sign on functionality--LOL

Again thanks Guys

Forever learning,

:) :) :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice