ATX Form Card - how to connect it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gamina

Hi everybody,
I have an old PC - with celeron 533Mhz CPU, MB: Acorp 6ZX86
there was an ATX Form Card, which I accidentally disconnected while changing the video adapter. As you can imagine now I can't put it back there.
I think it was on J2 on the motherboard and only the USB port worked (not the IR and PS2, neither the second USB), unlike other atx form cards i've seen this one has no a connection cable, but two connectors and each of them has a white, a red and two black cables.
And there's more - on my MB there is not a place with 18 pins for such a card, instead there is the 8 pin J2 and 10 pin J1 that is to connect a "normal" USB.
I'm sorry if my description is confusing and also my english is not so good.
anyway, thanx to everyone who knows anything of connecting Atx form cards.:confused:

If its two power connectors, instead of one, from the PSU, and you only see one large connector, thats about twice the size of the ones put together, on the motherboard, it may be AT instead of ATX. Its older and if you plug them in backwards you can fry the system. They basically go in next to each other but either one color wire should be together on the inside or both should be facing outwards. I have an old A+ book with the info in it. i can look it up. But you need to make sure thats what your looking at. I used to Use AT computers and own several still but i dont remember which way you install them. Its not hard, you just have to put the two connectors next to each other facing the correct way.

Did i misunderstand something in the post too? I may have.

ATX is for your power supply. USB has to do with sending info through your compter(basically connection peripherals). I think i missed something.

I'm not sure if i know what an ATx form card is. Does anyone?

Sorry, if i've confused you!

gamina

well, my computer has a AT power supply, but there is a ATX connector on the MB also. And actually this has nothing to do with the ATX form card. I have no idea why it's called this way :)
The atx form card is a device with ps2 port, IR port and 2 USB 1.1 ports. It's designed to be connected to 18 pin connector on the mobo, but as my motherboard supports USB (but i don't have the cable and the outlet ) and IR this 18 pin connector is separated in J1 with 10 pins for USB and J2 with 8 pins for Infrared.
This card used to be connected to the MB before (i can't remember whether it was to J1 or J2) and the USB port worked... only that i don't know how it was connected to the motherboard...:(
the card is like this (but without the big cable):
THIS
instead the shown MB connector I have one with 10 and one with 8 pins... (i'm not sure whether "pin" is the exact word)

I think the only way is with the manual for that board as ATX form cards normally come with a ribbon and eighteen pin plug similar to a floppy drive ribbon that plugs into the motherboard, I presume this is a real early version.
See Linkhttp://www.trianglecables.com/atxforfaccar.html

gamina

well, as i said before there's no such 18 pin connector on the motherboard, only 10 pin USB connector and 8 pin IR connector. The form card was connected to one of those, what I can't understand is the exact position of the cables (white, red, and black) I have 2 white, 2 red and 4 black cables connected to the card. this is a link to my motherboard 10 pin usb connector: http://www.geocities.com/stroupetz/maxtor/USBconnection.jpg
There is no a ribbon cable because there's no a 18 pin connector at the main board. so somehow it was connected only to 8 pins and there was a working usb port.

I feel this might be a process of elimination, I am fairly sure that the four black cables are GRD as for the others you will have to work out which wire goes where on the card and then see if this link helps you work it out.
http://www.pccables.com/70599.htm

gamina

so, black cables are GRD, red is +5V, white is -5V
I'll try to connect it to 8 pin IR connector first (as there are 8 pins on the cables) following the instructions for IR on the pccables link
thanx a lot, i guess i should check the voltage before plugging anything there:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online