ATX Power Supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hollis1234567890

My wife's computer died this week. She leaves it on all the time. she called me in to look at it. The power button was flashing, but no other sign of power. I pressed and light went out I tried to boot and nothing happen. I unplugged and held the power switch down for a few seconds and the plugged back in and tried to power up. Nothing happened. I removed the side cover and the little amber light on the MB was on and noting else. No fans in PS or on mother board. I installed a new ATX PS and I get the same results. ??????
Thanks

Oddba11

Jim
Check the User Manual. Basic trouble shooting steps, including the meaning of the various LED's, and their color, will often pinpoint the problem.

If you don't have the User Manual, most are available online.
If it's an OEM model (ie: HP, Dell, etc.), you can search using the brand and model information.
If it's a home built computer, you can search using the motherboard brand and model information.

Or share that information here so that someone can look it up.

Hollis1234567890

Check the User Manual. Basic trouble shooting steps, including the meaning of the various LED's, and their color, will often pinpoint the problem.

If you don't have the User Manual, most are available online.
If it's an OEM model (ie: HP, Dell, etc.), you can search using the brand and model information.
If it's a home built computer, you can search using the motherboard brand and model information.

Or share that information here so that someone can look it up.

The only lights on now are the power button light and the amber light on the motherboard. Nothing else is going on. Should I try jumping pins on motherboard to simulate the start button?
Thanks.

Oddba11

Jim
The LED on the motherboard, could also be an indication. Normal operation, the LED is typically green. So "amber" could be an alarm indication. No reason to assume the power button doesn't work and start jumping pins. Power/reset buttons hardly ever fail. And when they are found to not actually be working, it's typically because they are unplugged, or not plugged onto the correct pins. They also wouldn't cause an alarm condition (assuming the amber LED has a meaning).

When a unit won't power on, it's typically one of two causes...faulty power supply or motherboard.

Having said that, as you have had the unit open, triple check your work and make sure everything was reattached properly and to the correct locations. Also, unplug/disconnect all other cables and cards (ie: RAM, video card, sound card, etc.), ONE ITEM AT A TIME, and reinstall to ensure everything is properly installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online