1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audacity Podcast Nightmare

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Dmillskowski, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dmillskowski

Dmillskowski Thread Starter

Hello,
    Probably a multi-step answer. If those answers could be dumbed down enough that someone in their 80's could follow them as I am practically a luddite would be sweet.
    I purchased a Behringer Podcast Studio.
    I have a HP notebook (which I reckon is a POS), running Windows 10.
    I have hooked up the podcast studio. Mic plugs into a small mixer Xenyx 502. Those input/outputs are fed into a Behringer u-control USB converter which in turn in plugged into my laptop via the USB port.

So everything is on, I can hear myself in the headphones should be a piece of cake, I just need a decent DAW. I downloaded audacity.
    I can not get it to pick up, read or interface with the mic at all.
    I have turned off the laptop computer mic. Still won't work.
    I have downloaded ASIO, but audacity doesn't support that anyway.
    I have updated all my drivers (I think).
    Mic still won't read.

Maybe it's the software, right?
    I tried on wavosaur, windows voice recorder and Kristal.
    None of those will pick up the mic either.
    I have messed with all the volume control on the mixers, double, triple and quadruple checked all connections.
    I am sure the fix is a super simple one step, but I am stumped.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks, guys

2. UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

Have you checked control panel to see if the mic is being picked up? Search for either "microphone" or "audio devices" in settings, and find the test hardware option, and see if that gets you anywhere. If it doesn't, does the built-in mic work at all?

3. Dmillskowski

Dmillskowski Thread Starter

Hey UnlooseCake,
    Yeah, I checked the control panel and the mic is not being picked up at all, in the slightest, by any program on the laptop. I can plug my white earbuds in the 3.5 mm jack on the left hand side and it is picked up no problem.
    I have tested the USB mic set up, tried switching up options between 1 and 2 channels and a bunch of other options, but to no avail.
    No idea why it is not getting picked. USB ports should be fine. Plug data sticks in and they work A-okay.
    And the Mic actually turns up on the computer. All troubleshooting says it works fine. But when it comes to test the sound - doesn't read at all.
    Is my next step to box it up and return it? It looked so good. Damn.
    Thanks, man.

4. UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

Honestly, I have no idea. Aside from checking drivers and the troubleshooting you/we've already gone through, I suggest checking with the manufacturer.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!