1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audiable Click and then PC Freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PJC2, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

I was wondering whether people could help me with a problem I have.

I have the following machine, Titan Vantage" AMD Athlon 64 3500+ System (FS-004-OK)

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    - AMD approved cooler
    - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra PCI-Express Motherboard
    - GeIL 1GB Value (2x512MB) DDR PC3200 CAS2.5 Dual Channel Kit
    - 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 16mb Cache SATA 150 Hard Drive
    - Leadtek nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    - NEC ND3540 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
    - Onboard 6 Channel Audio
    - Floppy Drive
    - Arctic Cooling Silentium Silent Midi Tower Case
    - Seasonic True 350W Silent ATX Power Supply

The machine, will suddenly freeze, it occurs when playing games, using applications like Google Earth, and has occured on the desktop. There is a sound like a click, simular to when the sound card comes on.

I have run, virus checks, spybot etc.

Initially I thought it was the hard drive, as when it crashes in games the system disk has become corrupted, with the report of a disk error. SO I repaired the windows OP.

However the recent crashes, do not cause the Hard Disk to report an error so it must be something else.

Could it be due to the onboard sound card?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Things to try if you haven't already

check for updates drivers for your video card and sound card

Check and clean all dust from fans etc.

Defrag even if it says you don't need to.

Check background programs running are all of them need.

Check for any patches for games being played.

Check device manager for any visible conflicts

That should narrow it down a bit.

3. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

Thanks i will get cracking on it, it's so frustrating as the machine is only 2 monthe old, I will report back after I have done it tonight (edited for typos)

4. bonk

bonk Banned

If it's only 2 months old don't open the case to clean dust as it will void your warranty and after only 2 months it won't be dust.

5. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

I have now defraged the machine, and updated the codec audio driver ALC 850.

This seemed to do the trick, the machine was played solidily for a number of hours.

Last night I installed a new softward "ROME", after leaving the room I came back to find that the machine had crashed and tried to reboot.

On its reboot run the following error occured

Windows failed to boot as the following filed couldnt be found.

c: Windows root >> system 32 \ntoskrnl.exe

Reseting the machine causes the startup to be stuck on the windows loading screen.

I then left it for 30 mins and it rebooted ok.

SECONDLY I noted, that my computer a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ reports the following when i click the properties of "My Computer"

2.21 Ghz 1GB RAM, surely that cant be right, I thought my processor was 3.5Ghz

6. norton850

norton850

We will have to wait and see if the click problem is solved. The reporting on your CPU is correct. It's how AMD does things. They rate their CPUs at what they consider is an equivalent speed to the Intel ratings. Hence the 3500+ designation. But in reality it works at the 2.2GHZ speed. So is your system now booting OK or does it still get stuck on the missing ntoskrnl.exe screen?

7. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

I will put it through some pressure tonight and see if it freezes up again.

Thank you ever so much for your help chaps

8. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

I have defragged the machine, and updated both by Nvidia display drivers and the latest Realtek Audio drivers.

Intermittantly the machine still crashes, it hangs with the sound repeating continiously.

CTL ALT DELETE is not available so I have to reset the machine.

On resetting the machine either the following will happen,

The machine reboots normally, I get a little click sound through the speakers and the Broadband modem starts working.

OR

I get to the windows loading screen - but I do not get any further

OR

I will get a read disk error.

Often the solution is to turn off walk away, and restart later - where it works fine.

Please advise and help

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, 2.2 is the correct clock speed for an amd64 3500+ The 3500+ is a performance rating not a clockspeed.
    Next from your posts, I would think you have a hardware problem. Since it is still under warranty, send it back to be fixed.

If you want to troubleshoot it yourself, download and run the hd mfg's utility for checking the drive. This will show if there are any problems with the hd. Next download and run a memory tester to check your ram.

10. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

Sorry to be a pain, could you provide a little more info on what the Hard Drives MFG's utility is? I assume i find it at the manufacturers website.

11. dick471

dick471

Had the exact problem on one of my Asus A7V8X mobo's. Turns out the onboard ALC_65 sound was shorting out. Put in a Creative sound card, disabled the onboard sound and it fixed the problem. This same board had a shorted NIC last year, and would drive both portable telephones NUTS when I went on the internet.

12. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

Not sure what a shortened NIC is but my portable phone does get interferance as well.

I am trying to ascertain whether putting in a sound card would invalidate my warrenty from Overclockers. As I was wondering whether that was a problem.

There warrenty claims that you have to return the machine back in original packaging including all small bags which clearly is bobbins! Though I would rather try to solve the problem first as I have a sneeky feeling they wont be helpful and palm it off as a Software conflict issue etc.

13. PJC2

PJC2 Thread Starter

Not sure what a shortened NIC is but my portable phone does get interferance as well.

I am trying to ascertain whether putting in a sound card would invalidate my warrenty from Overclockers. As I was wondering whether that was a problem.

There warrenty claims that you have to return the machine back in original packaging including all small bags which clearly is bobbins! Though I would rather try to solve the problem first as I have a sneeky feeling they wont be helpful and palm it off as a Software conflict issue etc.

14. dick471

dick471

The onboard NIC lost it's shielding (open), and was transmitting RF in the house. This caused lots of noise on the portable phones while still in there cradles. I can't believe that installing a sound card would void your warrenty! You do own your system, not leasing the thing!

15. slamb

slamb

do you have a TFT?

If you are running games at resolutions / frequency that your monitor
    does not support then it can freeze or go black which is usually accompanied
    by a clicking sound from the electronics in the TFT.

Try installing your monitor drivers (which will limit your settings) or try a
    lower resolution.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice