1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audigy 2 Soundcard - bouncing tracks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RoystonD, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoystonD

RoystonD Thread Starter

Hello

I have just changed to a new computer and Windows XP (and CubaseSX) and my computerhas a Pentium 4 with 512 RAM

My problem is that (working in Cubase SX) I cannot bounce a track from audio to audio or midi to audio using the Surround Sound mixer and Audigy 2. I am a working musician so my biggest need is to record in midi and then send the recorded midi track to an audio track – something I have been doing for years. I also need to do audio to audio.

I send the line out from the sound card to an external mixing desk and an auxiliary sends the signal back to line in on the soundcard. Of course I never have the recording side line in and the play side line in enabled at the same time otherwise a feed back loop is created.

I have been doing this successfully for five years with the Soundblaster Live card and VST 3.7 so I know it can be done with a soundblaster card.

Under the old regime on the play side of the mixer display I enabled Midi in and Wav in and play control (which seeds to be a master control) but not the line in. On the record side I enabled the line in. This worked.

That was in VST 3.7 so I then tried to do this in SX. but still using the SBLive card and mixer. This worked OK with the same settings except that the dancing light in the level meter indication only showed a small top portion of its bar not the full bar on the miniaturised display but pressing edit showed a proper dancing bar

In both cases even though my auxiliary out from the desk back to the computer was turned up there was no feedback. Obviously I would not expect any feedback since both lines-in were not enabled at the same time. No loop was formed. In other words the signal from midi and from audio was being fed into the line out via the two sliders mentioned above but not the line in. This seems to be why there is no feedback even when the aux on my desk is I turned up. Incidentally the signal does go out of the computer on line out and come back in on line in. This can be demonstrated by physically disconnecting the cables in turn.

So far so good. This is exactly how I had sussed it out when recording previously.

I then went to my new computer and SX and set the equivalent settings in the new mixer. The first thing I noticed is that although I had to enable the midi in on the play side of the mixer I did not have to enable the audio track - it was always playing – I could always hear it - is this right I wonder. In fact I could hear the audio track with no sliders enabled at all except the master volume (on the left). The midi track needed midi in to be enabled to be heard as I said. I played a midi track and an audio track. In both cases I could hear the sound but I could not record it. There were no dancing lights in the level meters. This was despite trying different settings in the record section.
    I found that if I enabled line in both sections I could get a small signal but as soon as I tried to turn this up I got severe feedback as I expected or would have done if I had continued. It would seem that in the SX and Audigy set up the signal goes out OK (because it can be heard) but is not coming back again even though the REC section of the mixer is set to Line in/CD/analogue etc.

I tried re-installing everything without effect.

I found the manual on the Installation CD but although this gave lots of EAX information etc it did not say anything that helped with the audio path and settings.

I looked at updates but could find nothing that seemed to help.

Can anyone help please?

RoystonD

2. RoystonD

RoystonD Thread Starter

NO SOLUTION

After weeks of trying I have not found a solution to this and Creative Labs Europe say it cannot be done. I will now let this go and move over to using VST Instruments. Thanks to those who tried to help.

RoystonD

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!