1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audigy Card produces buzzing in response to system activity / video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottvreed, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottvreed

scottvreed Thread Starter

My Audigy sound card has been producing some very peculiar background noise lately.
    -When the system is idle, there is only a very faint but constant buzzing noise. This is louder and of different frequencies depending upon the colors being displayed on screen. Any change that occurs in the video (i.e. moving my mouse around or resizing windows) makes a faint zipping sound. This all occurs whether the monitor is plugged in/turned on or not.
    -Aside from the video, I can hear just about every other process that happens inside my computer through the attached speakers/headphones (it does not matter what type of listening device I connect, the sound comes out of all 5 channels of the card itself). These processes include hearing my hard drive accessing data, such that I can tell if the read/write head is searching or reading. When reading, I can hear the data streaming through the cables. Therefore, I have constant background noise while watching a DVD/HDD video file. The noise is about a fifth as loud as the soundtrack, so I can still watch a movie and be only moderately annoyed.

This happened as much with my past Power supply as with my current, high quality one so it's not a question of that. All software settings for the card also seem to be ok.

The symptoms are consistent with hearing electrical radiation interference from all the electrons/Rf resonance that's zipping around inside my computer, the question is: why does my sound card seem to pick up on every last bit of electrical activity that occurs within my computer while nobody else's does? Anyone have a fix for this? I feel like I've tried everything!

2. rmbler

rmbler

try a different monitor? are your speaker wires shielded properly?
    not that it should cause a problem but are there floresent light near the computer if the shielding on the cables aren't good it may cause a problem

3. Zerokill83

Zerokill83

Man I have the same exact thing happen to me!! No one can seem to give me an explanation as to why my sound card does this. What kind of mobo are you using?
    Take care

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

Weird. Have you tried muting all the inputs (microphone, line in, cd-rom in etc.)?

5. Zerokill83

Zerokill83

I'm not sure but I will let you know when i get off work. Hopefully its something that simple. Creative tech support said its bus noise but how do i go about fixing that? I have a asus P4P800 dlx with an audigy 2 sound card

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice