1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audigy problem with most games

Discussion in 'Games' started by LValeriaV, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LValeriaV

LValeriaV Thread Starter

I've recently aquired a Sound Blaster Audigy, and since then i haven't been able to play most games. The problem is this (by game):

Enter the Matrix: downloaded driver, with eax on or off, the games slows down to unplayable speed (1 frame every 2 or 3 seconds), with my previous sound card (SB AWE 64) it worked fine.

Drakan order of the flame: everything sound fine, for 2 or 3 minutes, then only background music remains, all sound effects stop. If i quicksave and quickload the last 5 or 6 sounds from the previous save play at the same time, and the sounds work for another 2-3 mins.

Black and White: sound plays fine for a few mins (3-10), then everything goes mute. I have to quit the game to get sound back.

MDK2: i can only hear music, no voices or sound effects.

Summoner: sounds work on main menu, but for single player stop when loading or starting a game. for multiplayer sound works for a few mins (sometimes, others it behaves like single player).

Warcraft 3: works fine with eax.

Those are all the games that support EAX that i have tried so far. I have all the latest drivers and mi PC worked fine with those games with my previous card. It is like the souncard gets "tired", like it takes memory but doesn't release it.
    Do you think it is hardware or configuration? (i am inside warranty)

Please help!

2. vesselle

vesselle

have you tried to lower your sound acceleration?
    ...start button
    ...run command
    ...type in DXDIAG
    ...when the DX Diagnostic Tool comes up, go to the sound tab and slide your accleration one notch to the left.
    ...test games
    ...results may vary from game to game, so you can keep dropping it a notch to test with all of them. if worse comes to worse, turn it all the way down.

sound problems with games that cause seemingly unrelated problems goes back a long ways. ;)

this will at least tell you that it is your sound card in some way.

V***V

3. LValeriaV

LValeriaV Thread Starter

tried that, same result, but when i reboot with "no acceleration" the options "show volume control" and "advanced properties" for the sound card appear grayed
    thanks for the reply

4. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

Well, I used to have a problem similar to that. I would suggest downloading the newest drivers for your sound card from your sound cards web site. Then, if that doesn't work, I would suggest downloading the newest BIOS from your motherboards site, then flashing your BIOS. It's very easy to do. Then, download the newest drivers for your motherboard, then I would suggest using on-board. If you look at alot of the tests being run right now on new motherboards and low-end sound cards, on-board is much, much better.

5. LValeriaV

LValeriaV Thread Starter

isn't flashing the bios quite dangerous? at the motherboard's site it says not to do it unless the update fixes your specific problem, and none of the upgrades available for my mother have anything to do with sound.
    I'd rather not go back to my old soundblaster, it was only stereo (as is my onboard), the audigy is surround 5.1, and wen it sounds it sounds great.
    i'd like to keep the flash te bios idea as a last resource

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Dangerous? Flashing the BIOS along with flashing burners and sometimes vidcards (I've done all, the mobo twice) is a fact of life. Almost any new mobo will need at least one BIOS flash. I guess there could be a problem, but BIOS's are probably flashed by thousands, successfully, every day.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice