Audigy2 platinum problems, keeps crashing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alvinoid

Hi,

I've installed an Audigy 2 ZS platinum card and box in my AMD 2400 system on SOYO dragon board running XPSP2. The system keeps crashing since install and the card doesn't work. The problem is somewhere in the software/environment since it will run fine without windows running. What would be the next best thing I can do to begin to resolve Thanks.

al

alvinoid

xp doesn't post an error messgae at all. When I installed the audigy driver disk, it looked like everything was going fine until it came to 'finish' screen at which point xp stopped responding period. Then I rebooted since the keyboard wasn't working and the XP home screen came up but it was locked up, peripherls (mouse and keyboard not responding. Subsequent reboots didn't help matters, it finally got so corrupted that a message came up something like "C:\\ windows/system/system32/ system file is corrupted or damaged. To attempt to repair the problem, insert the first windows disk and go to 'Windows Update' and at the first screen press 'r'" or something very similar to that. Well, I couldn't access anything remotely like that on the XP disk until I finally took it to a local 'computer guy'. He can't get it working either. Then he finally said he got XP to operate but it was unstable and he wants to wipe my hard drive.

hmm, well, hope u had all ur stuff backed up on disc or something. i had a similar issue with my sound card when it disappeared, then when i reinstalled it using the cd-rom nothing worked. finally had to resort to reinstalling xp, but i had everything on backup. good luck :) wish i could be of more help!

alvinoid

yeah, I have pretty much everything backed up.
Your system: everything work OK after you reinstalled XP? did you have to fdisk? Please post if it worked and then I'll try probably. Yet it does go to show despite all the xp hype, windows still sux.

everything's mostly ok, it seems xp gets corrupted somewhere along the way. i've had this desktop since jan '04 & have reinstalled xp 7, count em, times per the instructions of the good folks at Dell lol. 4 a while there, i thought dell was my immediate family ugh. it's been a learning experience, & knock on wood, nothing major has happened since the last reinstall which was back in July. if it does, think i'll burn the darn thing lol. never had to do fdisk, not even sure what it is :D

alvinoid

fdisk is the old DOS function that formats your disk thus wiping it completely of all info. This stuff is all now embedded in XP I guess. Old timers would remember it though, a tragic thing if you don't have backups. 7 times is quite alot, I was told by the system guys at work that too many windows reinstalls can ruin your hard drive.

this pc has been a piece of junk since i got it. on my 3rd monitor, 2nd keyboard so i went & bought a logitech & dumped the dell version lol. i've been up & down with dell like a yoyo but they've assured me a million times the prob isn't with the hardware, just the software lmao. yeah right. never could get them to admit that reinstalling xp so many times was a hardware issue with their product. oh well...

alvinoid

I bot an old laptop from dell. Its good for what I used it for which is very little, the problem I have with dell is their off continent technical support and really their web site, totally useless imo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online