1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio and video playback problem, please help

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Lexaus, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexaus

Lexaus Thread Starter

So lately I've been noticing that within 15 minutes of starting up my PC audio and video playback works fine. From time to time it works perfectly longer but it's once in a blue moon. But normally once the 15 minutes (or so) are up, audio playback stops working entirely. Recently it's been a problem with video playback too! Like I would go on youtube and the video I would play would be stuck on 0:00 or whatever time I may or may not skip to.

The sound problem is not limited to files on the web because when I open videos in VLC media player the video remains silent despite the sound being on. However, the video usually still plays.

Something else I've noticed is that when I go to the Control Panel > Sound > Configure > Test, it tells me that the device (speakers?) are being used by another program. And if I have headphones plugged in while the audio is still working, a message will eventually pop up telling me that the headphones were disconnected (despite them sill being in there) when the audio stops working.

Oh and this thing is an ASUS Vivobook S400CA, all hardware is the normal factory stuff. I've tried fixing my drivers by downloading those on the ASUS website. I was going to run drivertoolkit to update multiple drivers that may or may not have been problematic but I didn't want to pay the $20-30 before I know that this will fix things.

Any idea what this could be?? Any idea of what I can do to fix this? I don't even know if this is a hardware or software problem. I'm considering going to a repair shop and getting the audio card replaced, but it seems the video card is problematic too?? I don't know. Please help me, I don't want to lose this functionality on my laptop.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What is the status of the audio chipset in Device Manager when the error occurs?

Device detection is a function of the audio drivers. You can try manually updating/reinstalling the audio drivers.

It's also possible there is a hardware fault.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice