1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio CD burning problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hirme, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hirme

hirme Thread Starter

Hi all, I have a weird problem for audio CDs...

Almost half of the burning fails before the end and the other half has skipping song all over the CDs.

I have 3 CD burners in my computer (DVD-RW, CD-RW and DVD-Rom/CD-RW combo) and all three do this. I used Nero and iTunes, same problems with both.

So I tought it was the cheapo blank CDs (50 for 15bucks) but I bought some Maxell today and still the same error.

XP SP2 user here.

thanks.

EDIT: I tried burning CDs overnight at 4x...and they still skipped :mad:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it seems that it's a common component, so that would indicate something like drivers or something about Windows.

Have you checked to see if the drives are running in PIO mode in Device Manager?

3. hirme

hirme Thread Starter

sorry but what is PIO???
    and could it be the power supply failing to supply enough to all these drive?
    it's a 350W.

Ok, just found what is PIO...but they are already in DMA

4. JohnWill

Well, you could easily unplug two of the drives and just try your experiments with the remaining one. I don't think this is a P/S issue, but I've been wrong before. :)

5. hirme

hirme Thread Starter

Ok, I kept only one plug and still have this problem...the "funny" thing is that, burn after burn, these songs always skip at the exact same place...but they are ok when listening from the hard drive :S

Since they all do this, could it be a motherboard problem:confused:
    or hard drive:confused:

6. JohnWill

It's really difficult to say, it's a very odd symptom, that's for sure! I really don't have a clue at this point what the issue is.

7. hirme

hirme Thread Starter

Thanks for the help anyway! :)

My bro will bring his computer this weekend and we will swap each part one by one until we find what is the real deal!

8. jack78

jack78

you could try burning at a lower speed.
    just an idea, sometimes helps.
    I don't know if it's a myth or not but my mate thinks the slower u burn, the less likley of errors and longer lasting audio.

9. hirme

hirme Thread Starter

is it possible that a defective hard caused all this?

because I tried to burn a CD "on-the-fly" (directly on the blank cd, not using the hard drive) and it turned out to be ok and burn it at 20x....

@jack: 4x is kinda slower to me....:rolleyes:

10. kaaos

kaaos

not the hard drive but you do have a buffer issue. how much ram do you have?

11. hirme

hirme Thread Starter

1gig.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice