audio CD playback stuttering

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lion_Singh

When I play any audio CD the music play back stutters. I have an integrated sound motherboard. The playback software/device(?) is called ESS Audiodrive. When I ran DXDiag and tested this under the music tab the DXdiag locked up (had to quit DXdiag with task manager). Previous times with DXDiag this test worked fine. Am using WMP 9 recently downloaded and installed. I have attached the DX info file (without running the Music tab ESS Audiodrive test). If there is any other info needed, please reply.

I'm not an pro, either. Looking at the problem from a basic point of view though your computer might not allow playing CDs while having other, heavy software running.

Lion_Singh

Hi wuntzt,

But that still does not explain why DXDiag hangs on that particular test when it used to pass before. I have had no problems with system resources not being enough to play CD's before. Any other ideas?

Lion_Singh

Sorry for the late response. I reinstalled my audio drivers and DXDiag Direct Music test sort of works. It delays a little while then starts playing the test sounds. It doesn't lock up. But when I try to play the CD the same problem is there. I don't know what you mean by installing Direct X drivers. Do you mean reinstalling DX 9.0c?

Lion_Singh

I forgot to include the IRQ list.

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 (free)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM)
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 (free)
10 (free)
11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11 Intel 21143/2 based 10/100 mbps Ethernet Controller
11 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (English)
11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
12 PS2 (PS/2)
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

I did mean reinstall DirectX. Looking at the IRQ's I'm not sure why IRQ Holder for PCI steering is listed three times. If you go into device manager is everything listed as working correctly. Any duplicate entrys?

Lion_Singh

I reinstalled DirectX and the CD sound still stutters. I used DXDiag and the DirectMusic Test for the audio (ESS Audiodrive) and there is a very long pause before the test sounds play. A couple of weeks ago I was troubleshooting a video accelerator problem (which I still haven't solved). I was wondering if there could be any relation to this problem.

You have an old system, are your video and audio cards/chips compliant with the DX9?

Lion_Singh

I am very sorry for the late response. Hope you will still try to help. Thank you.

I checked device manager and did not find any duplicate entries. There were two items marked as not working correctly (both driver loading warnings). I removed both (Internet Connection Sharing under network adapters and a listing under disk drives for my printer/scanner/fax) and after restart the internet device was gone but the psc fax "disk drive" had the message "ntkern.vxd device loader for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)". I tried updating the driver but device wizard said I have the best driver currently installed. I then tried reinstalling all the printer software. This did not change anything. This warning has been on my machine for a long time and has not caused any problems that I have noticed. All other items in device manager are fine and no conflicts are listed.

The video problem is a long story. Short ;) summary:

Tried fixing video problem for one old game (only needs DX 7 which I have with onboard graphics chip) that used to work fine before. Tried everything including removing accelerator cards, game still did not work. However when I put cards back in I created a problem with the video output of the second video card. The video out of the first card in the scanline interleave configuration is ok but there is no output at all from second card in pair. My onboard ATI video chip is not DX8 or 9 compliant and I do get that message from DXDiag on Display tests. The DXDiagnostic on the Voodoo 2 cards gives me following error messages for Direct3D:

"Test failed at step 46 (GetDC): Hresult = 0x88760249 (Can't create DC)" for DX7

"Test failed at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): Hresult = 0x8876086a (3D not available)" for DX8

The DXDiag sound tests all work fine except for DirectMusic, which I described earlier.

Here are links to the other video related threads:

http://forums.techguy.org/t278429.html

http://forums.techguy.org/t278641.html

Thank you very much for your time.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11 Intel 21143/2 based 10/100 mbps Ethernet Controller
11 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (English)

That is not a good 98 combo.

And ESS sound is the absolute bottom of the basin in my opinion. Are you sure it's integrated? The one I had was an add in card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online