1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio cds lock system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hairy, Jan 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hairy

Hairy Thread Starter

I have a Gigabyte GA-71XE board,Athlon 700 o/c to 735,128 MB RAM, running Win98SE. A Creative CD5233E and a Creative CD-RW RW8438E both on the secondary IDE with the CDROM set as master.

When I insert a audio cd into the CDROM , the system frezes - the processor maxes out, CAD does no good, the mouse cursor is moveable but nothing happens when I click anywhere. If I push the button to eject the cd,the drive light stays on.The only recourse is to hit reset.Scandisk finds no errors.Audio CDs play fine in the CDRW.Data and games play fine in the CDROM.

No duplicates or erors in device manager.Disableing all background programs via EnditAll and StartUpCop helps none.Swapped slave/master -disconnected CDRW,no go.Scanned for virus (Norton and Trend Housecalls),clean booted,turned graphics and audio playback hardware acceleration to none.
    Same lockup.During clean boot - CAD shows MSGSRV32.EXE not responding.Ran SFC,Norton System Check,Disk Doctor,Speed Disk,Scanreg,Regclean. I'm running out of ideas - if the CDROM itself were croaking,one would think the data and games wouldn't work(?)TIA for all suggestions.

2. Sponsor

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, actually, audio CD uses some different stuff in the drive.

So, it is quite possible for a CD to play audio CDs but not work with data CDs, or vice versa.

It sounds to me like you have tried just about everything. The only thing you didn't mention, which you may want to try, is removing the audio cable. I doubt this will be the problem, but you never know... if there is something wrong with the audio cable input port on your sound card, it could cause the system to lock when data hits it from the drive.

If removing that cable doesn't do it, I would give up. Drives are pretty cheap these days. And of course there is the question - do you need to be able to play audio from both drives?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

4. Hairy

Hairy Thread Starter

Thanks,LarryCore
    Uninstalling all the software( and deleting everything "Creative") didn't help.

Neither did deleting the Enum key in the registry( under HKLM), and reinstalling all my drivers.

forgot to mention, had audio cable removed.
    All my drives are listed in the registry under HKLM\Enum\SCSI...however they are all IDE (2 HDD,1 CDROM,1 CDRW)...on my other computer (Pentium III 450), they are listed under HKLM\Enum\ESDI. Sounds like that's where they should be, but I can't make that happen.

Actually, this drive is less than a year old- under warranty, I'm sure.But right now I'm down to one hand and can't get it out to try it in another computer.

I'm not giving up yet.....

5. Hairy

Hairy Thread Starter

Oh, did remove the sound card (left that out)...no go

6. Chum

Chum

Try swapping Master/Slave settings on the two drives.

7. Hairy

Hairy Thread Starter

Thanks anyway Chum,

"No duplicates or errors in device manager.Disableing all background programs via EnditAll and StartUpCop helps none.Swapped slave/master -disconnected CDRW,no go."

8. Chum

Chum

Sorry, should have read your original post more carefully. What software runs your audio? Maybe more than one media players are trying to access it.

9. Hairy

Hairy Thread Starter

H'llo again Chum, Have tried RealjukeBox,WinAmp, and Windows CdPlayer...always checking the file associations were proper and no others were listed.

I don't suppose you know what happens if I try it with the data cable disconnected? Am I gonna fry something?

10. lilmoonee

lilmoonee

this has nothing to to w/ you problem but i dont think that 35 mhz is worth you warrenty......i would put it back to 700 because 35mhz is nothing

11. Hairy

Hairy Thread Starter

howdy lilmoonee, actually I did....

I've noticed something new....Windows is reporting all 4 of my drives (2HDD,1 CDROM,1 CDRW) in the registry as SCSI, under HKLM\Enum\SCSI .On my other computer they're under HKLM\Enum\ESDI, where I believe they belong.

If you check this link <A href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/5/50.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=SO&FR=0&qry=MSGSRV32%20not%20respnding%20&rnk=10&src=DHCS_MSPSS_SO_SRCH&SPR=W98SE">How Windows Setup Detects CD-ROM Drives</A> ...notice this - SCSI I CD-ROM drives use protected-mode drivers only if no real-mode rivers are loaded. The protected-mode drivers give you access to data CD-ROMs only.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34809