1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio cd's stop playing after a minute + also having trouble ripping audio cd's.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by robv1805, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robv1805

robv1805 Thread Starter

Audio cd's stop playing after a minute + also having trouble ripping audio cd's to my computer.

09-08-2011 11:57 AM

I need some help and not sure what to do next? Seems this problem is common but I can't seem to get it down. I'm far from a expert so please help me...

My dad has a Compaq presario SR5550f w/ Vista 32bit w/ service pack 2 up to date.
    When he try's to play audio cd's he get's this message.

Windows Media Player cannot read the CD. The disc might be dirty or damaged. Turn on Error correction, and then try again.

CD player plays only 1 minute and 3 seconds before error-ing out (although still plays DVDs). So, I thought Ok, let me rip his music and he can play off his comp. But when I try to rip audio it's goes about 20% and gives me a read error.

So, I turned on Error correction and nothing.

Seen in a few forums that I should update the drivers.

I uninstalled the burner driver from the device manager and nothing still.

I updated his Nvidia graphics driver just fine but it didn't find any thing for the motherboard?

I also updated his audio driver from the hp website.

So, after all that I thought maybe it's a hard ware issue? So, I changed out this burner for a new one and it still does the same thing?

have tested other cd-rs & retail audio disc. For some reason it's just audio's and ripping?

The other day he watched a whole dvd movie just fine!

I'm gussing it's a driver issue I just don't know which one's to look for?

Any help is appricated.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Drivers won't matter. ALL CD/DVD drives use generic Windows drivers.

Test with multiple discs. If multiple discs don't work, I'd suspect a faulty drive.

3. robv1805

robv1805 Thread Starter

I have test with multiple disc and I changed the drive. So, I'm really stumpped.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    So you have tried multiple discs and two different CD/DVD drives and both drives have the same playback issue?

That doesn't make much sense. Try a different media player?

5. robv1805

robv1805 Thread Starter

Yes, It doesn't right? Yes, I tried a different media players and it errors out. I keep reading it has something to do with NVIDIA or Mobo drivers because of Vista.. I tried most of them maybe I'm just missing something? I guess my only option is to do a system restore?

I'm guess my dad must have done something! He didn't tell me he had this problem until recent and that it had been doing it for sometime.

I just don't know?

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Update/reinstall all of the system drivers. Only use the drivers available from Compaq.

7. robv1805

robv1805 Thread Starter

Oddball do you know which one's I should be looking for? Any guess would really help me.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  9. robv1805

robv1805 Thread Starter

Thanks oddball! I'm going to see what happens.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice