Audio CDs won’t play

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OobaJooba

I’m running Windows 10, and a newly installed DVD/Blu-ray player drive will not play/load audio CDs or CD-Rs. DVD/Blu-ray/data discs load okay, just not audio. However, the same drive installed in another Windows 10 PC does! Can anyone give an explanation as to why this is happening, because I'm completely stumped?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
If you click on the drive & choose open does it show the audio files?
Are these commercial CDs (purchased) or home burned?
Is there a media player set as default to play CDs?

OobaJooba

If you click on the drive & choose open does it show the audio files?
Are these commercial CDs (purchased) or home burned?
Is there a media player set as default to play CDs?
The discs are a mixture of both commercial and home-burned. When loaded, nothing happens and the drive still says 'BD-ROM Drive'. I can open the folder, but nothing displays within it. However, the same drive installed in another PC, works perfectly and plays the content without any issues.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
The drive will still say BD-ROM no matter which disc is inserted.
As for the home burned, were the discs closed so they can be played on other drives/players?
Try sfc & DISM:
Right click on start & choose powershell with admin & enter:
SFC /SCANNOW
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

OobaJooba

The drive will still say BD-ROM no matter which disc is inserted.
As for the home burned, were the discs closed so they can be played on other drives/players?
Try sfc & DISM:
Right click on start & choose powershell with admin & enter:
SFC /SCANNOW
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Okay, I did that and still no change. I can't understand why it loads DVD/Blur-ray/data, but not audio discs. It's obviously something to do with this particular PC, but I've no idea what. Could it be a motherboard issue?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Possible.
If there’s nothing shown when the CD is opened in explorer then that suggests there’s no files on the disc. However retail CDs should show files.
Is this an external or internal drive?

OobaJooba

Possible.
If there’s nothing shown when the CD is opened in explorer then that suggests there’s no files on the disc. However retail CDs should show files.
Is this an external or internal drive?
There are definitely files on the discs as they load/play without issue on other PCs. With my PC, I actually have two drives with the same issue, a BD-RE drive and BD-ROM drive. Both are refusing to load/play audio discs. The BD-RE drive opens, but shows no files, whilst the BD-ROM drive states 'Windows can't read the disc'.

plodr

Liz
In the computer that works to play audio CDs, what program is used?
Now go to the broken computer and see if that program is installed. If it is, go through and check settings on the two computers.

OobaJooba

In the computer that works to play audio CDs, what program is used?
Now go to the broken computer and see if that program is installed. If it is, go through and check settings on the two computers.
On the PC that works, it uses VLC Player. The other PC also has the same player installed with the same specs. I've also tried other players, but for reasons unknown, it will not load or play audio discs using either of the internal drives. It's utterly baffling and extremely frustrating!

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Could you try the drives in the other PC? This would rule out a drive problem.
If you are doing this then the problem is with Windows.
You could try an in-place repair:
Download the media creation tool, run it & choose to upgrade now. This will install 21H1 if you’re not already running this build.

plodr

Liz
I found this. You can check if the "broken" computer might have Exclusive mode enabled.
Right-click the speaker icon in the Notification area of the Taskbar > Playback devices >then under the "Playback" tab click on "Speakers" (or the Default Device) > Properties > Advanced > then remove the checkmark in front of "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" > OK
You can also turn off WMP just in case that seems to be interfering with VLC.
Control panel - programs - turn Windows Features On/Off - when the box has populated scroll down to Media Features - expand and uncheck WMP - click OK (accept the warning) and then restart the pc

I'll keep searching to see if I can find any other solutions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.