1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Codecs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by commander, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. commander

commander Thread Starter

Can someone explain wat Audio Codecs are.

Can they get corrupted?
    If they did could it cause a system freeze whien ripping CD tracks?
    How would I update or refresh the codecs?

Peter
    UK

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Audio Codecs are what is used to read/make audio files. There are two types. Encoding and Decoding. Encoding is to make an audio file. Decoding is to read it. They are basically translators for the system to read the audio files.

Can they go bad. It's possible. You can always replace them. I would suggest K-Lite Codec Pack 2.35. It has all the latest codecs that you need.

3. commander

commander Thread Starter

Hi Tidus

Many thanks for your swift response and your succinct explanation of what this is all about.

The web site to which you directed me was also informative; in particular it said at one point about the downloadable package " . . . It has been very well tested, so that the package doesn't contain any conflicting codecs. "

This made me think that some sort of conflict is the source of my problem (system freezes when ripping to MP3, but fine when ripping to WAV format)

What I would now like to do now is to clear out all the old codecs and start again with the package you have identified. However the package which I have downloaded, but not yet installed, does not have any installation instructions with it. I guess it is pretty straightforward but how do I uninstall/remove the old ones?

Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Regards

Peter
    UK

PS I was not familiar with the quote from Stalin, it is truly chilling, one I will always remember.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It will (should) install into the correct location. I think its in the system32 area, I don't really know. In fact I need to download it myself. I will let you know in a minute.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Oh I forgot to tell you, download the FULL pack, not the basic or standard one.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Attached is the README file from the pack. It has a LAME MP3 Encoder which is the latest. It should override the one you currently have.

Attached Files:

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I myself prefer the ACEMEGA codec pack. I've had too many problems from K-Lite with some videos simply not playing right or causing the explorer to crash when Thumbail preview is enabled in folders. Plus there's more tools and codecs.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack.htm

8. commander

commander Thread Starter

Hi Tidus thanks for the extra details. The readme file starts by saying “It is highly recommended to first uninstall all existing codec related packages before installing this package.” What is meant by “codec related packages” and how do I uninstall them; will I find them in Control Panel > Add/Remove programmes ?

Triple6 I appreciate your comments but I think I only need something pretty basic, the download you suggest is 49MB! I’ll keep it in reserve. Do you think a codec conflict/corruption could be causing my problem ripping tracks (system freezes when ripping to MP3, but fine when ripping to WAV format) ?

Peter
    UK

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I believe its when you have another pack like an older version of K-Lite or maybe T6s ACEMEGA. If you haven't installed ethier you don't need to worry about it.

I'm 99% sure that the MP3 encoder may be damaged. If anything, try a different program. CDEx is a good program for MP3 ripping.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice