1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Cracking/Breaking and Distorting during Music/Movies/etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ALGreves, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ALGreves

ALGreves Thread Starter

So I have been having this problem on and off for about a year now where audio from anything consistent (music, movies, etc) crackles, breaksup, drops, or makes other distorted sounds. To describe this best it is like a note is drawn out for a second or more and makes a distorted sound or sounds are dropped all together resulting in choppiness. The below files are two different recordings of songs played on my computer and kind of what it sounds like.
    This problem goes away sometime and my audio doesn't have any problems, and if it does its a minor hiccup here and there. BUt then there are times like recently where you can't go 30 seconds of track without hearing a mass distortion or drop. I dusted out my heatsink and fan to the best of my ability without a dust blaster. It didn't make much difference, the problem did not go away on reboot. The problem used to only happen after extended periods of the computer being running, but now rebooting and even having the computer shutdown for more than 6 hrs does not solve the problem like it used to in times passed. I have reinstalled the HD Realtek audio drivers multiple times to varying degrees of success. It has worked once in the past but not for long. It is not a speaker problem, I have just changed speakers and the problem is universal on both the old ones and the new ones and on my headphones too. I have thought for a while that it was the motherboard, as it is my oldest component (purchased ~Oct 2011) but I sometimes get FPS lag when these 'stutters' happen, but I guess that could be motherboard related as well. If you need anything else to help this diagnosis I will keep a very keen eye on this post. I really want this problem fixed.

Note: While recording the second file, for the most part my computer decided to behave without any major disturbances. Major disturbances can include like multiple seconds of audio scratching or breaking (notes being dragged out or dropped)
    http://www.megafileupload.com/1PsL/160844.mp3
    http://www.megafileupload.com/1PsM/161406.mp3

I promise the above links are not going to hurt you. They are mp3 files from Raidcall recordings that were uploaded to megafile.
    If there is a better way to upload a mp3 file that doesn't need to be downloaded, I'm all ears, this was the only way I could think of.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one has any idea what type of hardware we are attempting to fix. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact cpu, etc, etc. Note do not post 8gig of ram; post the exact brand and model#

If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever; post the exact make and model# If you have a service tag, post that as well.

Since you mention realtek, I assume you have onboard sound. Have you tried a real sound card?

3. ALGreves

ALGreves Thread Starter

My apologies;

Windows 8.1 Pro
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1)
    AMD FX-8350 8-core processor 4.0ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb
    Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (4X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel
    Corsair HX850 PSU
    Genius GX Gaming SW-G2.1 2000 Speaker System
    Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headset
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device 1TB
    TOSHIBA MG03ACA100 ATA Device 1TB

"Since you mention realtek, I assume you have onboard sound. Have you tried a real sound card?"
    No I have not found the need for spending money on a soundcard as buying something before you know what's wrong is a pretty rash thing to do, but I did come to this website looking for support for the problem at hand. If I want a salesman I'll go to Best Buy.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well with that attitude, find your own help.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Any more rude posts will result in your thread being closed.

6. ALGreves

ALGreves Thread Starter

Help is indeed what I'm looking for, hopefully I can find some because you don't seem in the mood to give any.

I apologize if you take simply stated fact as rudeness.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice