1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

audio crackling, using usb soundcard

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by moebius, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

Alright, so this problem has been annoying me for about a week now. It's begun to get on my nerves. I have my laptop set up to play music on my hi-fi through a USB audio interface. I hear crackle. The kind that you hear on vinyl. Let me describe my set up:

I'm using foobar2000 to output sound to a USB audio interface (Creative Sound Blaster Digital Music SX) via ASIO. The sound card sends audio to my pre-amp over optical cable. The pre-amp then sends analog audio to the amp and so on.

The media is all flac. It is stored on a NAS and is being access over a wifi connection. There is no crackle at all if I play a CD. The CD player is connected directly to my pre-amp.

Things I've tried:

ASIO: Crackle is still there. I have checked and double checked that foobar2000 is using ASIO for output.

VLC/WMP/other software: No improvement.

Storing and accessing the media locally: No improvement.

Using MP3 instead: no improvement.

Buffer entire file to RAM before playing: no improvement.

Drivers: all latest versions.

Changing cables: no improvement.

Now, I know the problem is with my laptop, because If I use my brother's (or any other computer) laptop, the sound is perfectly smooth. The question is, how do I isolate and then fix it?

Also, My laptop is quite old (2.5 years). Although changing it is on the cards, it is currently out of the question due to 'budgetary issues'. I can budget upto 200$ on any other hardware to fix this problem though.

Thanks in advance.

2. DerekC

DerekC

Just a shot in the dark...

I've encountered Static and Crackles if anything besides Master and Wave are not muted in the Windows Volume Control Panel (specificly Mic).

3. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

thanks for the tip, will try that out when i get home.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice