Audio device (not) unplugged

bxcfilm

First Name
Brian
This doesn't happen frequently or regularly, but every so often, out of the blue, Windows reports that an audio device has been unplugged. The trouble is, nothing has been unplugged.

Restarting Windows fixes the problem, but of course it would be better if I didn't have to restart Windows. I don't think it can be hardware related, because I don't have to touch the hardware. And the Windows Audio service is still running after it happens.

Speccy reports this under Audio
Audio
Sound Cards
Intel Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Playback Device
D22-17 (Intel Display Audio)

The problem seems to be something to do with the Realtek HD Audio Manager. I have attached a screen shot of the Sound Manager when this has happened. Windows reports that the driver for it is up to date.

Can anyone suggest something I could do, other than restarting the PC, when this happens?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190810170607.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3060 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 76 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 149 GB (73 GB Free); D: 780 GB (646 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K20CE, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 110610198200044
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n GBPDCG0002ZH
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
You appear to have an ASUS K20CE Desktop PC that came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Is that correct?

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Sound Video And Game Controllers heading.
Double-click the Realtek High Definition Audio entry to open its properties window, then click the Driver tab.
What is the driver version and driver date listed there?

Are you having a sound issue, or just an annoying pop-up?

------------------------------------------------

bxcfilm

First Name
Brian
You appear to have an ASUS K20CE Desktop PC that came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Is that correct?

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Sound Video And Game Controllers heading.
Double-click the Realtek High Definition Audio entry to open its properties window, then click the Driver tab.
What is the driver version and driver date listed there?

Are you having a sound issue, or just an annoying pop-up?

------------------------------------------------
Driver date: 31 May 2016
Driver version: 6.0.1.7836

When this happens, I get no sound out, as if I had really unplugged something.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
6.0.1.7836 is an extremely outdated Realtek HD audio driver.
Windows 10 should have installed a new driver version.

Go HERE to download and save version 6.0.1.8186.
Double-click that 412 MB-size executable file to start the update process, then follow the directions.

See if that helps with your issue.

-------------------------------------------------

bxcfilm

First Name
Brian
Well, I installed it, and it worked for a few minutes, then it stopped working. I went into Drive Manager again and chose the Roll Back Driver option. Immediately the Properties screen changed to that of Microsoft "High Definition Audio Device" driver version 10.0.18362.356 dated 04-Sep-19, and so far it's working OK.

Go figure, as they say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online