1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio driver can't load...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChfTx, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

Compaq Desk Pro, P2, 333MHz, 64 RAM...motherboard integrated audio.......

installed scavanged hard drive(20 Gig) and all was well..

I decided the hard drive was too good for this computer so I installed an older one (1.5 Gig) and formatted.....

Everything went well except can't get the Audio Drive (ESS 1869 Audio Drive Plug and Play (WDM) ) to work. It's yellowed in device manager. Properties says "The "____" device loader for this device could not load the device driver...(Code2).....To fix this, update the device driver"....

Which I did and the install seems fine....it looks like it installs, but getting the same message. As I said, it was fine with the other hard drive......

I went to safe mode to remove the audio device and try again, but in Safe mode there twice as many listings under "Audio/Sound..."and everything looks good...no yellow!! I uninstalled them anyway, powered down and did a fresh boot and install...............as you can guess, same thing...no sound or Audio Device............

One more thing,...the first HD install there was no modem. I installed it before I decided to change HD's. I left it in when I installed the second HD...I tried taking the modem out too..and...no help..

I'm a bit confused...

Thanks for 'listening' and appreciate any advice......:(

2. mobo

mobo

Double and triple check that you do have infact the exact driver for the system then are you clicking on the .inf file when you navigate the wizard to the drivers folder. do you get a message telling you that installation is complete and successful ?

3. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

yes, I'm getting a success message...and a finish message..

I tried installing the driver by both methods from windows...let windows find it and by finding the specific device to have the driver downloaded for......both from the Win98 CD...am I making sense?

4. mobo

mobo

Yes you are , and is there still an exclamation point in device manager after the driver install ?

5. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

6. mobo

mobo

Have you tried looking for chipset drivers on the motherboard manufacturer's site? I had to do that last week for a w2k installation after loading the sound drivers.

7. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

no..as I said, it's weird, everything was great until I swapped hard drives...I can't imagine what that would have to do with this...and the oddest thing is that in safe mode, there 6 items listed under "sound..." and all work according to device manager.........and only 3 under "sound" in normal mode and the audio drive isn't working....

8. mobo

mobo

Take a closer look at the ones that are missing in reg mode as that mey be key.

9. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

ok...I got it fixed.....I know how I fixed it, but I'm not real sure of the "why", but I think so....lemme explain the best I can..

I noticed when I looked in "system-performance" that drive "E" was in DOS mode. ....it took me a minute then realized I better check my drive letters and sure enough, I had 3 partitions on the hard drive....and the cd was "F" .......As I said, I formatted it, but didn't think to do an FDISK, since it was only 1.2Gig. I ran FDISK and nixed the partitions, so I only had one, formatted again, reinstalled the OS ....and life is good again. As for the "why" part, here is were I'm a bit fuzzy.....
    I have limited resources. I have to install win95 and then upgrade to 98 (and then to 98se, if I so choose). The driver for the audio, NOR for the USB hub, is in the 95 package, and somewhere during the installs, info got placed to 2 different areas of the hard drive BECAUSE, I was using the standard "C" and "D" during install. That's why I was getting 2 different sets of audio devices in safe mode and normal mode.

It WAS the hard drive that caused this in the first place (and of course, the operator )

That's about as much as I understand....PLEASE let me know if I'm close and give me your input here, it would be very helpful and muchly appreciated......

Thanks for your patience motherboard and your help...:p

10. mobo

mobo

Why do you say you have to install 95 then 98 then 98 se ?

11. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

because all I have is a win98 upgrade disk

12. mobo

mobo

You can clean install with the upgrade cd just as you wiuld with the full version cd. The only difference is that during the install you will be asked to insert the 95 cd to prove that the install is an upgrade and then reinsert the 98 cd again. this way you get a totally clean 98 install versus an upgrade install....

13. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

yes, it does!...sounds like it'll save me some time..

as far as the "why" on the audio, what do you think?

14. mobo

mobo

If you onl have the single partition now just format it and load the system and we'll take care of the sound after the install..

15. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

it's done!...and I had no problems afterwards...everything works great...audio too.....that's what I was I was saying, it WAS related to the hard drive, the way it was formatted and the way I installed the os, that's what was causing the problem...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice