1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Driver problems with Vista Can't play ANY music!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by invain, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. invain

invain Thread Starter

So this randomly started happening a couple weeks ago, and my roommate has been having the exact same problem.

When I try to play any type of media, whether it be a movie in windows media player or music in itunes, nothing works. Usually with Windows media player I get an error message after the video plays for a second, but when I try to play a song in itunes nothing happens. It shows the track title and the play button changes to pause, but the track never progresses, it's always stuck on 0:00.

I figured it had something to do with audio drivers, so I went to the control panel, click on hardware and sound, and right when I clicked sound again, I got a message saying an audio device is not working properly, and prompts me to close it. Once I click ok and stop whatever device it is, everything suddenly works again and I can play movies and music.

I tried downloaded the newest realtek drivers, but it didn't help at all and only made things worse.

I re-installed the default drivers the computer came with, but I'm still having the same problem.

And, to make matters worse, right now I can't play any music, but when I go to the sound section in the control panel I'm not getting the usual pop-up that fixes the problem.

2. mb90078

mb90078

Seems similar to what's happening to me. Can you play other types of sound like I can? Like flash videos/games, AIM sign on tones, etc?

Whatever this is it seems to be going around.

3. invain

invain Thread Starter

I haven't tried playing any games, but a few certain tones still play, like windows alerts, etc.

4. invain

invain Thread Starter

Bump.

5. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

can you please list more info about the drivers and hardware. thanks

6. invain

invain Thread Starter

This is on a laptop, Sager NP2090 running Vista 32 bit.

The drivers right now are the high def, like 1.64 I think. Realtek.

7. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Question...Have you tried looking on the FAQ on the Realtek site? if you cant find anything I will see what I can find.

8. Kat6

Kat6

I have similar problems with vista sound, one day last week the sound just stopped. The system claims that the speakers are working but not plugged in!!!!

9. invain

invain Thread Starter

I checked out the realtek site, but as usual it sucks majorly and I couldn't find any answers to my problem.

This is getting extremely annoying. Like I said, before I could turn off whatever had stopped working and my sound would magically work again, but now I don't even get the pop-up so I have absolutely no sound on my laptop while Vista shows everything is working properly.

10. invain

invain Thread Starter

I completely uninstalled the audio drivers and downloaded the ones on the Sager website.

Now I have sound, but it only comes out of my laptop speakers whether something is plugged in or not. In other words the headphone jack does not work now, so I can't use headphones or other speakers.

11. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

I have a feeling that it is hardware related somehow. You should prolly take it to a repair guy.

12. invain

invain Thread Starter

Hmmmm.

What makes you think it's hardware related?

13. kspoon

kspoon

Just curious, did u recently install a webcam? I lost sound and went to webcam control pantel and mad changes to speaker list. For some reason logitech listed something other as my default speakers and that controlled my pc.

14. invain

invain Thread Starter

No, laptop has a built in cam.

15. kspoon

kspoon

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice