Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Audio Driver problems with Vista Can't play ANY music!

8K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  violentcatharsis 
#1 ·
So this randomly started happening a couple weeks ago, and my roommate has been having the exact same problem.

When I try to play any type of media, whether it be a movie in windows media player or music in itunes, nothing works. Usually with Windows media player I get an error message after the video plays for a second, but when I try to play a song in itunes nothing happens. It shows the track title and the play button changes to pause, but the track never progresses, it's always stuck on 0:00.

I figured it had something to do with audio drivers, so I went to the control panel, click on hardware and sound, and right when I clicked sound again, I got a message saying an audio device is not working properly, and prompts me to close it. Once I click ok and stop whatever device it is, everything suddenly works again and I can play movies and music.

I tried downloaded the newest realtek drivers, but it didn't help at all and only made things worse.

I re-installed the default drivers the computer came with, but I'm still having the same problem.

And, to make matters worse, right now I can't play any music, but when I go to the sound section in the control panel I'm not getting the usual pop-up that fixes the problem.

See less See more
#9 ·
I checked out the realtek site, but as usual it sucks majorly and I couldn't find any answers to my problem.

This is getting extremely annoying. Like I said, before I could turn off whatever had stopped working and my sound would magically work again, but now I don't even get the pop-up so I have absolutely no sound on my laptop while Vista shows everything is working properly.

#10 ·
I completely uninstalled the audio drivers and downloaded the ones on the Sager website.

Now I have sound, but it only comes out of my laptop speakers whether something is plugged in or not. In other words the headphone jack does not work now, so I can't use headphones or other speakers.

#17 ·
So, I did a little farting around today and found some more out.

I have sound working again, only it comes out of my computer speakers no matter if I'm plugged into the headphone jack.

When I go the sound section of the control panel however, it shows the jack and reports everything to be working properly. When I try the test for the "headphones", or anything plugged into the headphone jack, I do hear the test sound through my external speakers I have plugged in.

It seems to me like now, everything is working, however the computer is sending all sound to the internal computer speakers instead of through the jack, even though something is plugged into the jack and it works properly.

Here's a screenshot of the sound section I'm talking about:

Attachments

#18 ·
You're on to something. Like I said above, I had a similar situation to you. I opened up the same sequence of windows in the sound section of the control panel, and a message box popped up, telling me something wasn't working right, and asked me if I wanted to disable it (I wish I recorded it word for word). I clicked Yes (or ok) and tried out a song on my computer and it seems that it solved the problem. I haven't tried external speakers yet, but I presume I'll have the same problem you do.

#21 ·
So I compltetely uninstalled the audio drivers again, and installed the ones that came on disk with my computer. I can see the HD Audio Manager icon in the system tray now, and I'm now getting the pop-up that I was before.

When I open something like iTunes, nothing will play, but once I go to the sound control area I get the pop-up telling me something isn't working properly, I click ok to disable it, and now the headphone jack is working properly again.

I am 100% sure this is a software problem now, and it's either Vista or ****** drivers from Realtek, or both. I have no clue how long this will last before sound completely stops working again.

#22 ·
Ya it does sound like a software prob as well, but it wouldn't hurt trying this:

Open up the sound control panel, click on Device Advance Settings then check the separate all input jacks and also the Playback options. You can just look at the picture i made for more info.

Attachments

#25 ·
Man this is rediculous.

Usually if I put the laptop lid down or log out and then log back in later the sound quits working and the only fix is to restart the computer and get that pop-up. Today when I turn my comp on, I don't get the pop-up and no audio will play at all, like before. System sounds like windows errors still come out of my laptop speakers, but I can't play any freaking music.

This is so rediculously irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.