1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Drivers Missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MrColeslaw, Apr 25, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. MrColeslaw

MrColeslaw Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kevin
    Hey, everyone - having some major laptop issues, and a close friend suggested TSG, figured it was worth a go.

Ever since last night, when rebooting my laptop, my audio drivers are gone.. just, totally disappeared, as if they never existed. Not sure why this is, but as it stands, I have no audio from the laptop. First of all, it's a HP Pavilion dv2000, running Vista (32bit iirc).. pretty old, I know, lol. It's a temporary laptop for the next six months.

What I've tried:

Reinstalling drive manually from here: http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/hp/laptops-desktops/hp-pavilion-dv2000/95299 Tells me that it can't find "the MEDIA device".

Showing disabled devices, to see if perhaps it was simply disabled; no dice.

I'm somewhat tech savy in terms of editing, but drivers and such are largely beyond my knowledge.. would really appreciate any sort of input! :)

Also tried using SysInfo from the site, but it gave me absolutely no info, everything was left blank when it opened.. not sure what's up with that, honestly.

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We need to correctly identify your HP Pavilion dv2000 series laptop so we can locate its support site.
    What's the exact model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on it?

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Sound Video And Game Controllers heading.
    What's the exact name of the device(s) listed there?

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. MrColeslaw

First Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the response!

M/N: dv2736 (was actually listed under a service tag, but I did some Googling and that seems to be correct for the M/N; feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, kinda inexperienced here)
    P/N: KC460UA#ABA
    S/N: 2CE80322VS

I don't even seem to have that header, for some strange reason(unless I'm looking in the wrong spot). Attached an image below.

[​IMG]

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your laptop is more than 10 years old, so the HP support site no longer has it listed by serial number and product number.
    You appear to have either a dv2736us or a dv2736tx model HP Pavilion laptop.
    Do you see either model number on yours?

I'm glad to know you can submit images because that will make it easier to help you.
    Expand the Non-plug and Play Drivers and Other devices headings so their list of entries can be seen, then submit an image.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to run some errands, so I'll check back here in a few hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. MrColeslaw

First Name:
    Kevin
    Yep, it's a dv2736us. Accidentally missed the us bit when typing it last time. Yeah, I figured pictures are always far more helpful with things like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take as much time as you need, very appreciative of the help regardless.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I have no idea what you did to your laptop for it to accumulate such a massive number of "non plug and play" entries.

Your laptop's sound device does not appear in that heading nor in the "other devices" heading, so it's very possible that it's gone bad and is no longer being detected.

Your laptop appears to have a Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 sound device.

There are numerous locations on the internet(including driverscape) that list a driver, but it's unknown if they're legitimate or if they work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. MrColeslaw

First Name:
    Kevin
    I have no idea what's happened to this thing, either, sadly. Was a hand me down that I'm using for the next six months or so until I can afford a new one. Will likely look into installing the driver manually, and see how that goes; not much to lose, at this point. My only other guess is that age has just killed it, honestly.

I do have external speakers, would those be of any help as a backup? Not sure what type they are offhand, would have to check.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Plugging in external speakers probably isn't going to do any good if the laptop's sound device has died.

If you know how to download the appropriate Windows Vista 32-bit(x86) driver from the Microsoft Update Catalog site and then extract its contents and then install it, that may be your best bet.

Unfortunately, I don't see the sound device listed in the Device Manager so you can install the driver by the "back door" method.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm shutting down for the rest of the day, so I'll check back here in the morning.

11. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Try this.May or may not work but it's worth a try.

Open device manager.Click the Action menu and select "Add Legacy hardware" (if you see only the Help in this menu, click somewhere in the white space around the list (i.e. make sure nothing in the tree is selected), then click the Action menu again)then "Add Legacy hardware".

Click Next to start the Add Hardware wizard.
    Select Search for and install hardware automatically (Recommended).

If the wizard tells you it can’t find any new hardware, click Next.

You should now see a list of hardware types. Scroll down until you see Sound, video and game controllers. Select it and click Next.

Select the manufacturer and model of your sound card, then click Next.
    Click Next to install the device, then when the installation is complete, click Finish.
    Reboot.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice